Bit of a waffle, something not right...

Mugsgame

Visit site
Sorry, bit of a long one, so far its a case of not dramatically wrong but not terribly right either...

14 year old gelding, 11.2hh, full history of laminits which is managed and under control, past episode of hypocalaemia (when 4 yrs old). Up to sometime this afternoon was looking very well, enjoying life with his chum. Normal routine is out on a small paddock, not a lot of grass at all, access to yard and shelter all day every day. Both have a small slice of soaked hay for breakfast and a normal slice for tea, HiFi lite, probiotic and a mineral lick. Both look really well, neither are fat.

Went to take night hay out tonight and he was lying down in field, not totally unusual but unusual for thet time of day, he didn't come over of his own accord, had to go and hoof him up, he looked quite bright but a bit stiff.

Slightly pottery in his action, but not typical lami gait or stance, pulses normal, feet feel fine, unreactive to hoof testers.

Most tight in his quarters, not on a tying up scale but tighht all the same. Appetite fine (have now temporarily removed food), seemed to enjoy a long drink when I shut him in, poo's fine, wee's fine, bit 'pale' in his membranes but nothing horrific at the moment.

I do have a tendancy to over worry about him as is firmly a pet, but I am certain the most obvious cause is he has tweaked himself in his back somewhere and I should make him comfy for the night...

Can't stop other scenarios going through my head. Right now my vet would think I was mental calling him out now, unless his condition worsens of course.

Am I missing something?!

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Hmmmm. An owner always knows her horse better than anyone so if you feel he's not right, then he's not right. Because he's had laminitis before it might be better to treat him as if he has it again, ie stable him on a deep shavings bed right up to the door and soak his hay etc etc. But it might just be he's fed up of the flies and the stiflingly hot weather and is a bit down or - as you say - he may have tweaked something. But I have to say, if he was mine and there was the slightest risk of laminitis, I'd treat him as if it was. Far better to be over-cautious than miss something. Good luck and do let us know how he is x

Mugsgame

Visit site
Thanks Box of Frogs, this is exactly what I did, just in case! To be honest, even if it starts as nothing to do with laminitis it is probably more than enough to set him off, so taking all precautions!

So he is in, on his deep bed, on his EVA mats, with his soaked hay and water, with a touch of NSAIDs and a half dose of sedi. I think he has tweaked his back, there doesn't seem to be anything else wrong with him, all systems working fine, stud vet will have a look at him this afternoon, but for now he is comfy. He is also cross at being left in which is normally a good sign with him!

Just very strange last night... not that I wish something serious on him, but at least when they show true signs of something you can move quickly and deal with it!

Shall watch this space...