"BIT" of advice needed

GailM

Visit site
My childs pony is in a Wilkie bit at present but has started putting his tongue over it when being ridden. He does not do anything nasty when he has his tongue over but he does put his head down whilst doing it which is no good wilst in the show ring. Has anyone any ideas if a different bit would stop this becoming a habbit.
confused.gif

flyingfeet

Visit site
Its quite easy to set beval bits (Wilkie) low in the mouth - could you try shortening your cheeks?

You cannot really use a rubber tongue guard on ponies, as they are too big. The other choice is to try a different mouthpeice ideally double jointed. Neue Schule make beval bits in a variety of styles especially for ponies.

AlexAndJess

Visit site
If the pony is being ridden, you could put a flash noseband on it (Although its not suitable for showing). My mare used to do it alot, and as soon as we put a flash on her it stopped. It keeps the mouth closed, and therefore it would be very difficult for a pony to get its tongue over the bit.

GailM

Visit site
Thanks, but I don't think that a flash would work as it's not much use putting it on when being schooled as this is only stopping the problem not solving it and we would still have the same problem in the showring. Thanks anyway.

Kris R

New User
www.bitlessequitation.co.uk
Why are you using a Wilkie bit ?

Have you had feedback from the NS lady yet ?

When a horse or pony is putting its tongue over the bit and/or putting his head down he is very uncomfortable and this is what he is trying to tell you. Single jointed bits can hurt the roof of the mouth and the beval arrangment can add additional poll and tongue pressure.

Hopefully you have been recommended an alternative.