Bit of advice please - slightly odd question...

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
My old horse is due to be PTS in a couple of weeks.

I poo pick every day and have noticed over the last couple of days that there are quite a few eggs in his poo. Do I get a worm count done and worm him or just not bother. Obviously if he weren't being PTS in a couple of weeks, this wouldn't be an issue at all and I would get straight on it.

I am not trying to be tight or ignorant - I just don't know if its worth it.

Thoughts?

serenityjane

Visit site
So sorry to hear about your horse.
You say you can see eggs in his poo, eggs are microscopic and would not be seen poo-picking, or did you mean worms?
If so, as hereshoping said, probably good idea to worm if other horses are to use the field- I wouldn't bother doing the count though, as you know it would be high if adult worms are present.

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
They are like tiny little white eggs in an oval shape prob about 1mm long and there are clusters of them on his poo. I have inspected his poo at length over the last couple of days hoping that they might be fly eggs but they do seem to be underneath his poo and inside it as well as on top.

I have also inspected little pony's poo and she has had one of these things that I've found. He has them in every poo. Although bit weirdly when they were in last week for a couple of days I couldn't find any so I did wonder if they were fly eggs but I'm playing it safe here!!

PollyP99

Visit site
Doesn't sound like fly eggs but then no idea why they could be?

Without prying for me it depends on the reason for PTS, would worming be uncomfortable for him if he's ill / elderly - just a thought

Christmas Crumpet

Visit site
No - he's being PTS because he's 21 and very arthritic. I have no idea what they are but I'm sure they aren't supposed to be in his poo so will take poo at lunchtime to have a worm count done!!

Has anyone else seen things like this? I can't even find a picture on the internet of what they look like.

spacefaer

Visit site
Without having seen them, I'm not 100% but I would be 99% confident they are fly eggs

I noticed them last year while poo picking our fields - droppings without the white eggs on had fewer flies on them. If the fly lays its eggs inside the dropping, they are safer from environmental factors (rain/sun/drying out) while the egg hatches.

Strange things we notice while wandering round with a shovel and a barrow :)

PollyP99

Visit site
Doesn't sound like fly eggs but then no idea why they could be?

Without prying for me it depends on the reason for PTS, would worming be uncomfortable for him if he's ill / elderly - just a thought

Doh! meant doesn't sound like worm eggs agree prob fly eggs