Bit of Fun...what really annoys you on a livery yard?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Frankie definitely has more than 3 rugs, we’d have to get more liners for his Rambo instead as they wouldn’t count ;) :p

On livery they did all live in his stable though

Boulty

Visit site
*Reads Auslanders post* Erm yeah that would be me you're describing... I have an awful habit of arriving with 1 or 2 boxes of stuff and it slowly breeding to occupy all available space! (Although now on full livery with very limited storage so really making an effort to not do that, have even given the entirely false impression that I am tidy and organised... thank god for the shed at the bottom of the garden is all I'll say!). You'd really hate me as I erm wouldn't think to hose concrete after I'd swept it either and my pony leaves little "field paste" (only people who've used it will know what I'm on about here) hoofprints everywhere on a semi-regular basis.

SEL

Visit site
*Reads Auslanders post* Erm yeah that would be me you're describing... I have an awful habit of arriving with 1 or 2 boxes of stuff and it slowly breeding to occupy all available space! (Although now on full livery with very limited storage so really making an effort to not do that, have even given the entirely false impression that I am tidy and organised... thank god for the shed at the bottom of the garden is all I'll say!). You'd really hate me as I erm wouldn't think to hose concrete after I'd swept it either and my pony leaves little "field paste" (only people who've used it will know what I'm on about here) hoofprints everywhere on a semi-regular basis.

You should see our garage..... that's where the rugs are currently breeding.

Purple spray on the bottom of feet also leave interesting prints everywhere :D:D

Auslander

Visit site
Too many people to reply to individually! To clarify - three rugs at any given time hung up in communal areas. The stables have rug rails in them, which they can fit as many rugs as they want on, and they can keep whatever rugs they like in their two trunks/boxes. I just can't/won't have enormous piles of rugs in every corner, or boxes and boxes of miscellaneous stuff piled to the rafters. I like tidy/well ordered!
None of the horses here appear to suffer from not having 74 rugs at their disposal at all times!

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
The one who insists on giving their obese pony a hay net on the yard while grooming or tacking up. Then it blows everywhere, and the livery don’t bother brushing up...

Auslander

Visit site
I did think 3 was a bit draconian - and though I am a massive hoarder, I'm not a huge collector of rugs!

Alf has a lightweight, a mediumweight, and a summer thermatex. I sold the other 10 rugs, as he never wears them!
I have to keep his extensive matchy collection in the house though, so I can practice what I preach up at the yard!!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Alf has a lightweight, a mediumweight, and a summer thermatex. I sold the other 10 rugs, as he never wears them!
I have to keep his extensive matchy collection in the house though, so I can practice what I preach up at the yard!!

Ha! Matchy is the work of the devil for taking up unnecessary space. I have more than is healthy, but it lives at home too.

I have 2 rain sheets, 2 100gsm turnouts, 1 200gsm turnout, 2 100gsm stables and a couple of fleeces / liners in regular or semi-regular use over winter - between the 3 little devils. I don't always switch t/outs for stable rugs though so I could cut that down to about 7 easily enough I suppose. Which means I'm actually under the 3/horse rule :eek3:

chocolategirl

Visit site
Wow this could take a while🤨 but for starters here goes:
Leaving taps running unattended
People who don’t brush up after themselves... I mean who do they think is guna do it, the brush fairy?!!
Whispering in corners cause you just know they’re likely to be bitching about someone!🤨
Know it alls, you know those that think there’s nothing you can tell them cause they already know all there is to know about horses. I’m talking about when their vet Or farrier advises them and they completely ignore cause they know best!
People who waste food/hay etc, it’s expensive ffs!🤬
Oh dear I better stop for now I can feel my blood pressure rising. OP, what were you thinking starting this thread?!🤣

Kezzabell2

Visit site
people using my stuff without asking, then I can't find it when I need it, or worse its being used elsewhere without my knowledge! I have lost 2 bins for soaking hay, my electric fence energiser, my wheelbarrow, my broom, which I've had 17 years, as was in perfect condition is now worn right down. my buckets getting used. my stable being used and being left with no bedding! having to move my horse into other fields to keep other peoples horses company, or to eat down the grass, then getting told he's fat! people txting me to see if my clippers are at the yard (no they bloody arent coz I dont want them being used and getting broken)

not in my field, but hearing about this annoys me. someone who won't allow their horse to turned out on its own, but the owners will always leave the retired horse in the herd on its own! they literally go mental if their horse is left for even a second! surely it works both ways?

WOW didn't realise so much annoyed me

little_critter

Visit site
People who say “leave the [yard] gate, I’m just going”, then continue to chat on the yard for 15 minutes with the gate wide open.
I’m a bit anal about shutting the gate.

Cowpony

Visit site
My current gripe is people using my skip bucket as a rubbish bin, so I have to go and empty it before I can use it for its intended purpose.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
People who think the Yard rules don’t apply to them like poo-picking and ragworting.
Leaving gates swinging open.
Not locking up properly.
Loose schooling = chasing around arena with a whip so the horse goes bonkers and ploughs up the surface and no one else can go in at the same time.
People who are too lazy to attend their horses in the morning leaving them standing in with no hay.
The Yard Coven - luckily we got rid of ours.

McFluff

Visit site
Blimey. Feeling rather glad I’m on a strict full livery. None of us would dream of borrowing stuff, leaving a mess etc. We’d be homeless :D
I breach the three rug rule though, and that’s with leaving some at home ...

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Most annoying thing is the know it all women. They seem to latch onto me. I let a friend ride my mare as I felt so sorry for her that her mare was lame and very unwell, when I asked her how she got on she tells me that my mare is unschooled and needs to work on being in an outline. I was a bit pissed off as my mare has only just been backed and ridden away, and has been out hacking since to gain confidence until we can find a local school to hire. Of course she's not on the bit in an outline, she's four and unschooled.
Needless to say I won't be lending my horse out again, I was only trying to be nice to somebody who I thought was a friend :(

rachk89

Visit site
To those who don't like people touching your horse, does that really just include giving them a quick stroke as you go past? I wouldn't ever feed another person's horse, but I give them pats now and again unless they clearly hate it.

Bernster

Visit site
Blimey. Feeling rather glad I’m on a strict full livery. None of us would dream of borrowing stuff, leaving a mess etc. We’d be homeless :D
I breach the three rug rule though, and that’s with leaving some at home ...

Aye. I’m pretty laid back most of the time but the livery yard I’ve got my boy at is strict. But thar does mean none of these posts apply at all, phew! Aus would despair at how much kit I have though haha.

Auslander

Visit site
Aye. I’m pretty laid back most of the time but the livery yard I’ve got my boy at is strict. But thar does mean none of these posts apply at all, phew! Aus would despair at how much kit I have though haha.

I think you're the only one of my liveries who abides by the rules!

R2D2

Visit site
What really winds me up is people treating horses like they are humans. Our yard seems to be terrible for it. They all have rugs on if its below 15 degrees, and "duvet days" if it is raining, even when they have been in all night already.

jumbyjack

Visit site
People mucking out then leaving the barrow full in the stable doorway and going off for a hack! Mixing feed in the tackroom sink and blocking the plughole!

I would fall foul of the 3 rug rule, big horse has her own shed up in the loft, there are 50/60 rugs in there plus the shets have 15 at least!

miss_c

Visit site
Not going to add any but I think almost all of mine have been mentioned! I think since working at the yard I've also viewed it differently and things that would never have bothered me now do, because I'm the one who will be clearing up!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Nothing much really bothers me, but the one thing that does is That person. You know that person who somehow manages to mould the yard rules and routine around their horse because it's just so damn special. And because they can't ride one side of this oh so special beast, has an endless stream of vets, chiropractors, saddle fitters and all sorts of other equine professionals in to help them discover the numerous complex and rare conditions it must have to explain this. Yet none of these professionals ever summon up the energy to suggest that maybe if the horse wasn't being fed ten ton of 'competition' mix every day along with myoplast because it "needs to be built up"..... And this is the same person who having finished watching underpaid yard staff deal with their untrained, hyped up lunatic horse, still has enough time in the day to look down their nose and make snotty remarks about other liveries.

I like not having to try to block out that person anymore.

Jasper151

Visit site
I do some occasional freelance groom work, usually for private yards for ones who only offer full livery so there have always been very few people around. I recently did some work at a large DIY yard, the thing that annoyed me the most was how miserable everyone was! Nobody says hello or even smiles when they see you, I know they don't have any idea who I am, but no acknowledgement I found weird.