Bit Question!

Skhosu

Visit site
Ok. My boy is ridden in a full cheek french link snaffle. He is fine dressage, fusses a little in walk. SJ he can be steady but generally rushes towards fences. At some points we have jumped nice rounds, but a lot of the time I'm holding a lot and when I let go it's like a rocket!
XC I find myself sawing to get control if I let him gallop on (the point of xc.......).
The only other bit I have is a 2 ring gag w/ french link. Am thinking of trying it tomorrow for a lesson?
To add, I originally rode him in it when I first got him until I got the snaffle, and he went very well.

flyingfeet

Visit site
Definitely try the gag!!

If you are sawing XC, you are bruising the mouth and only making life harder for yourself by deadening the nerves and damaging your horses mouth.

filly190

Visit site
Is his mouth kept shut tight? That's what my trainer advised and it has given me a lot more control.

My horse is young and strong and I really feel for you, it's frustrating when they pitch their strength against you.

I had several lessons to regain some control and it has helped, unfortunately for me, I could'nt move for days after. I took her cross country training with her field mate, an old mare of 20 and she just plodded along and, not being nappy, she seemed to click that it was'nt all about galloping along. The older calm horse slow her down a treat, so I'm hopeful.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
You may find that the problem you have is not a bit problem. A horse usually rushes upto & away from fences when it is unbalanced. You may find that more groundwork, in particular leg yielding will teach him better balance & get him to bring his hocks underneath. This will greatly enhance his movement & balance & I think you will find that he will be alot steadier into and away from a fence. It isn't a quick fix, it may take some time, but it's worth it. Good Luck

BuckingHorse

Visit site
I definately agree with the schooling to improve balance and strength but after having the same problem with my mare and trying lots of different approaches I've found that a nathe pelham works wonders - its just gives me a bit more control without taking the power out of the canter (I found that the dutch gag killed the canter resulting in turbo boost on the last 3 strides and a flat jump).
Good luck!

Skhosu

Visit site
Not a schooling issue! He is beautifully balanced on the flat, and just gets so excited he charges at the jumps!
Thanks for all the advice!
Was also wondering about a KK snaffle or something similar?