Bit recommendations- need lifting action

millitiger

Visit site
Hi all,
Currently ride my boy in a turtle top with full cheeks; usually he is incredibly polite and light and we have no issues.
However we have started going hunting more frequently and I am finding him bearing down a bit on longer canters and I am having to be stronger than I would like to keep his head up and better balance.

I am looking for a bit to help me keep him up in front, I don't really mind strong horses but don't like head between fetlocks!
Looking at a Tom Thunb potentially from my research and not adverse to something with double reins either.
Please throw me your suggestions!
TiA

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I think I would start with a waterford - It will help you teach them to rebalance them better and stop any sitting on the hands before you need more options. I often go through this stage with young horses and don't enjoy it! You are trying to get them more uphill by riding them up but they just find it easier to go faster!

I'm Dun

Visit site
I have used a cheltenham gag with great effect in this situation. I have used with and without double reins.

Me too. Tank of a cob who used to head down and go. The curb rein sat on her neck unless she was rude when it could be picked up and used.

teddy_

Visit site
Generally speaking, most 'gag' bits work to elevate.

Something like a Neue Schule 'Elevator' could be a good choice. It's configured in a way that easily allows for a single rein, double reins or roundings.

If you think this might be too strong, the Neue Schule 'Universal' is a very popular bit which may be worth considering.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I use a neue Schule elevator with Waterford mouth piece for this purpose. Stops horse bearing down on bit. I use it with two reins and gel covered curb chain. I keep the curb rein looped most of the time.

millitiger

Visit site
Thanks all for suggestions, I will have a good read through and research.

I think I would start with a waterford - It will help you teach them to rebalance them better and stop any sitting on the hands before you need more options. I often go through this stage with young horses and don't enjoy it! You are trying to get them more uphill by riding them up but they just find it easier to go faster!
Was just about to say Waterford would be my starting point

I’m not sure about a Waterford as he’s actually very soft in the mouth usually and can also get rubs just behind the corners of his lips.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Thanks all for suggestions, I will have a good read through and research.

I’m not sure about a Waterford as he’s actually very soft in the mouth usually and can also get rubs just behind the corners of his lips.

I don’t think a Waterford is strong. It’s a bit they can’t grab hold of or lean on.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Waterford or the Tom Thumb which I use for hunting with two reins .
Get a Neule Schule Waterford the first links are shaped so they don’t rub .
I also always put gel bit guards on both of these bits if I use them for hunting .

ihatework

Visit site
I agree, I didn't say it was strong... more that the action may not suit the horse and could cause more rubs due to the multiple links in the bit and the nature of the action.

If it helps my big eventer used to cut/rub very easily in a range of snaffles, he ended up doing flatwork in a thick hollow mouth. He went XC in a Waterford with no issue at all. The NS one with acavello gel guards

millitiger

Visit site
Just as an update, we went with the Tom Thumb bit, with a simple lozenge, and acavello bit guards and it worked very well.
He got his head down a few times but on the whole was much more balanced and easier to get up off his forehand.
Also important, he had no sore mouth or rubs afterwards either.
Success!

Reactions: SEL