Bit recommendations!

Mystronghunter

New User
Visit site
Hi all, looking for some advice. My mare is so so strong and I’m running out of options. I’ve tried: runnning gag, Waterford Tom Thumb and a low port Pelham. She just leans down on me and just tanks through everyone out hunting with no control whatsoever. She knows what she’s doing and she loves it so I don’t want to stop her from doing it but she’s rude and null in the mouth! Been looking at a Swales pelham? She does rear as well.

teddy_

Visit site
If your mare is incredibly strong, have you tried a Kineton noseband with a simple snaffle?

Failing that, you could try a combination bit. Nathe and Trust make these with varying mouthpieces.

I would steer clear of a Swales pelham, they are detested by judges in the ring for a reason.

Mystronghunter

New User
Visit site
If your mare is incredibly strong, have you tried a Kineton noseband with a simple snaffle?

Failing that, you could try a combination bit. Nathe and Trust make these with varying mouthpieces.

I would steer clear of a Swales pelham, they are detested by judges in the ring for a reason.

Thank you! I’ll have a look :)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
If she leans down a combination bit (with a hackamore nose attached to the bit) and Waterford mouth might help to combat the leaning?
I am all for "use whatever you need to control the situation" but draw the line at bits or contraptions that work through the medium of pain - which is how the waterford mouthpiece works. I know there will be lots of people telling me how well their horse goes in a waterford, and how much their horse "likes" this bit, but honestly, they are a barbaric bit. A gag might be effective, or a curb type bit (pelham, double), but honestly the only real cure for these things is training and strong, sympathetic riding with a good sense of timing. Good luck.

[153312]

Visit site
I am all for "use whatever you need to control the situation" but draw the line at bits or contraptions that work through the medium of pain - which is how the waterford mouthpiece works. I know there will be lots of people telling me how well their horse goes in a waterford, and how much their horse "likes" this bit, but honestly, they are a barbaric bit. A gag might be effective, or a curb type bit (pelham, double), but honestly the only real cure for these things is training and strong, sympathetic riding with a good sense of timing. Good luck.

Why do you say Waterfords cause pain? (I've never actually used them myself, I just know horses aren't supposed to be able to lean on them....)

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Why do you say Waterfords cause pain? (I've never actually used them myself, I just know horses aren't supposed to be able to lean on them....)
Just look at the damn things....all bits are of course capable of inflicting pain in uneducated hands, but there are a number that are specifically designed to do so. Amongst those that are praised for getting horses to "back off", or not lean, are: twisted snaffles, W mouth, magennis, bicycle chain, wire mouth, etc. They "work" by being painful.

cauda equina

Visit site

My old boy hunted in a Nathe and a Kineton; it worked well for us

mini_b

Visit site
What noseband are you using?
My horse is a bit too strong for me XC and found him better in a Pelham+grackle rather than a cavesson.

spacefaer

Visit site
I'd be wary of a curb chain on a horse that rears.
Does she rear when she's not getting her own way?
Kineton is brilliant as it only comes into effect when the horse is being rude. We've had great success with a kineton and a Cheltenham gag on a horse that poked his nose down and ignored his rider at speed ?
And I know Cortez doesn't like waterfords but we have had success with them. Any bit will cause pain if used incorrectly.
My incredibly strong maxi cob has a Waterford loose ring gag with a dy'on double noseband. He's strong, ignores me, and crosses his jaw when he's not ignoring me. With that set up, I can do be light in the hand and subtle with my aids. With a milder bridle, I have limited to no brakes and he has a sore mouth