Bit sitting to one side in mouth?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I hate to say it but the pony's nose doesn't look the same length at both sides, one nostril appears to be higher than the other (his right nostril looks higher) in the 2nd photo.

ETA 1st photo in the separate links

Last edited:

Leo Walker

Visit site
It was the headpiece on my bridle. It wasnt wonky really, but he had so much hair it was sitting wonky. Its fine with a different bit, but the Myler is so flexible and moves so easy I think it was making it worse!

Scot123

Visit site
Woah, you're right - his nostril looks really higher doesn’t it!! Maybe it's just cos he's wrinkling his nose whilst trying to chew my fingers. I'll check that tomorrow as he really does look squinty!

FranieCob - hoping that it's not his face.... did you change your headpiece? Or was it the change from the Myler that helped?

FfionWinnie

Visit site
I really don't think his nose is squint - his nose is just wrinkled up.

The throat lash looks quite tight. Does this still occur with it not done up. I think it could also be because there is no noseband as that would make the whole bridle more stable. Lastly I think the browband could be tight too. It's hard to tell from photos.

I think we need photos of the bridle not on the pony. In bits, with the cheeks beside each other and the headpiece folded at the half way point.

Regandal

Visit site
I would try dropping a hole on the right side, and up a hole on the left. Continue doing that until it sits straight. Assuming headpiece is central.

WelshD

Visit site
You could always try a bit with cheeks, or maybe borrow one and see if that shows up where the problem lies

Sal_E

Visit site
Hi Scot123. Apologies for dragging up an old post but just stumbled upon this which sounds identical to my problem! The bit is definitely sitting evenly on the cheek pieces (so it's not the bridle) but one side of the bit is further through from the moment I put it on her (so nothing to do with rein contact) - the bit looks too big on one side only. I can jiggle it around to look ok, it then naturally goes back to how it was within minutes (without me touching her).

It's definitely not teeth (had 3 different EDTs check her teeth over the last 5 months!!!) & it's definitely not the bridle! I intend to try a different bit today (even though it measures evenly), but just wondered if you ever found a solution? :) Blooming horses, LOL!