Bit suggestion for horse who gets his tongue over it.

Edith

New User
Visit site
I have a 4yo tb in training who constantly gets his (very large) tongue over the bit. I firstly used a cross nose band, then an Australian noseband, in his last race he 'gurgled' and the jockey thinks he had his tongue over the bit and this blocked his airway. We worked him last week with a tongue tie and he still managed to get his tongue (with the tongue tie) over the bit.... Any ideas please?:p.

ShowjumpingPrincess

Visit site
He is probably doing this out of pain. If you are using a jointed bit, he is doing it because he is being jabbed in the top of his mouth. I would suggest a bitless bridle, but in racing this is not allowed :( a rubber snaffle would also be good, but they are fat so wouldn't usually suit a horse with a big tounge. He may be putting his tounge over the bit because his tounge is being pinched, so try a Robart pinchless snaffle on him. Alternatively, a flexible happy mouth may be good. I would suggest that when he is at home use a hackamore or bittless bridle, and when racing , try the above listed bits. Xx

crazyhorse37

Visit site
I second trying a bitless bridle, hackamore etc. Putting his tongue over the bit is not because he is uncomfortable with it in his mouth. Strapping his mouth shut ever tighter will exacerbate the problem, as he can't move about to get comfy.

Edith

New User
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I think he does it out of habit - I've bought 3 or 4 horses from same yard and they all put their tongues over the bit. I will try some of the suggestions! X

TigerTail

Visit site
Myler comfort snaffle combination - set it so most of the pressure is on his nose rather than his mouth - worked for mine and I went through 37 bits....!

BabyA

Visit site
I had this problem and I'm using a nathe bomber bit and he hasn't done it since.
They're expensive but perhaps you could try somewhere that hires them out first.

Tnavas

Visit site
A Hanging cheek or Fulmer are both good bits as they hold the joint up in the mouth.

I found that I couldn't use a double jointed bit on my TB - it took him 45mins to get his tongue over and two years to stop him trying again.

At the time I resorted to this

Bitwithtonguegrid.jpg