Bit suggestions please? (or schooling exercises!)

QueenDee_

Visit site
Hoping someone can suggest a bit to try for schooling this mare. She's fairly green in the school, has a lovely light mouth but can has a tendency to 'fix' her neck behind the bit, even if on a loose rein (wondering if she's had draw-reins on in the past as its that type of shape) so looking to encourage her to relax down into the contact. Has had teeth/back checked. She's currently in a full cheek copper roller snaffle which she is quite mouthy in until she settles into the schooling.

Grateful for any suggestions, or even any schooling/lunging exercises that you have found to be effective for this type of horse :)

georgie256

Visit site
Rubber straight bar or jointed? My 4yr old likes to look pretty with his neck in rather than ride into the bridle, so a rubber type will help

georgie256

Visit site
I haven't changed any of mine over recently but that's what trainers have always told me when trying to get them to accept the contact. Other exercises I would say your usual transitions, lots of walking circles and then getting them going forward into your hand

Tnavas

Visit site
Definitely not a good idea to use a rubber bit, they are notorious for making mouths sore. If the horse doesn't keep the mouth moist the rubber grabs at the skin.

I find a single jointed Fulmer, with keepers, this bit is good to encourage confidence.

saddlesore

Visit site
Id look at something fixed that will sit still in the mouth and encourage your horse to stretch. A Mullen mouth snaffle would be ideal IMO. I like the myler ones.

QueenDee_

Visit site
Id look at something fixed that will sit still in the mouth and encourage your horse to stretch. A Mullen mouth snaffle would be ideal IMO. I like the myler ones.

Had a quick google and the majority seem to be of different materials (happymouth/vulcanite etc) from the post above suggesting against rubber ones as they can make the mouth sore, would you be suggesting a metal one? :)

Sol

Visit site
My lad who generally likes mullen mouths works nicely in a Billy Allen D-ring (a western brand I think but v. similar to myler in the mouthpiece style & a lot cheaper ;) ) he generally prefers this style of mouthpiece, in a double/single joint he can back off the bit & is overly-mouthy. Now he has his Billy Allen (for every day work) a Myler bradoon (for when he eventually goes in a double, perhaps, but he's schooled in this fine on it's own) and jumps in a PeeWee - when he holds the bit far too much!!
Ultimately though, learning how to do flexions with him (in-hand) have made all the difference to his confidence in the bridle & his reactions to it also. :)

saddlesore

Visit site
Had a quick google and the majority seem to be of different materials (happymouth/vulcanite etc) from the post above suggesting against rubber ones as they can make the mouth sore, would you be suggesting a metal one? :)

Yes just a metal one :) most of the ones made of other materials are loose ring and a fixed mouthpiece is better.

http://www.thehorsebitshop.co.uk/product.php?xProd=245

Last edited:

PorkChop

Visit site
I've had success with using a straight plain nathe bit for horses that need encouragement to accept the bit, with a loose ring for a bit of play. I have never found the material that they use for nathe bits to make the mouth sore.

Tnavas

Visit site
Do you not find the nut cracker action discourages them from stretching down?

Absolutely not! It is the only bit I have used on every young horse and horses I've had to re educate including TB's off the track for over 40 years.

It is such a quiet, still bit that it truly encourages bit acceptance.

Double jointed bits have been a fashion bit for sometime, many horses dislike them, especially if the centre part is large, as the bit joints then bruise the bars of the mouth, it also puts increased pressure on the tongue which many horses dislike.

QueenDee_

Visit site
All you lose is the nutcracker effect on the sides of the mouth. A friend regularly schools her GP dressage horse in a Mullen mouth.

Double jointed bits have been a fashion bit for sometime, many horses dislike them, especially if the centre part is large, as the bit joints then bruise the bars of the mouth, it also puts increased pressure on the tongue which many horses dislike.

Aah ok, thank you! :)

QueenDee_

Visit site
Someone also suggested to me that myler bits are good ones to try for these types of horses, does anyone here recommend them?