Bit suggestions please?

jessjc

Chaddleworth, Berkshire (Wantage/Newbury)
Visit site
I currently jump Crosby in an American gag. I started off keeping it as simple as possible and stayed with snaffles for as long as possible. Anyway, his results have vastly improved, after schooling aand I have a great deal more control with the American gag (happy mouth straight bar - for no reason other than there was one in the tack room). I am taking him eventing this season and so have been trying a few other bits for XC. I thought the Cheltenham gag would be a good bet, but just felt awful (he was way too strong!).

Anyway, the issue really is that I find it hard to ride with double reins. Is there a good option that can be
used with roundings/one rein which has a similar action to an American gag?

Thanks so much in advance, any suggestions greatly appreciated. I am in the middle of exams at the moment, but so excited about our first event, BE90 at Munstead in a few week's time - yippee! :D

flyingfeet

Visit site
I would add another set of reins for hacking out and schooling in (so 3 in total), two reins are easy and you just need to get used to them

Having played polo with 3 reins, mallet and whip, 2 are easy!

If you combine the action you will end up using too much leverage

jessjc

Chaddleworth, Berkshire (Wantage/Newbury)
Visit site
I've played a bit of polo and didn't have a problem with it then, but for SJ there is no opportunity/time to have a moment to collect up reins before the next fence. He has quite a big action over a fence and is a little bit strong, so sometimes the reins slip through my hands, and I have to spend a stride collecting them, which there's not time for in the ring.. hmmm...

_EVS_

Visit site
You can do though I found that roundings seemed to lessen the effect so just had one rein on the bottom ring (and a curb strap) x

AdorableAlice

Visit site
I hunted a strong cob in a mullen happy mouth american gag, he went too deep so I put a leather curb strap on the gag and the result was superb. He stayed up and light.

Not sure you could have that set up under rules though ?