Bit troubles?

Omni2

Visit site
Hello
I have only been riding six months we have a mini cob mainly for my daughter but I have been riding him as well as she is quite nervous. He has a lovely temperament but is green only backed last year. I have two current challenges that maybe related. He is a bit of a jogger always has been going down hills and heading for home. Yesterday he just pretty much jogged the whole hack and I feel like I am constantly pulling in his mouth. Also he can be stubborn if he doesn’t want to go a certain way and when I turn him ( or try!) the bit seems to come out a lot. The owners said th bit maybe a bit big but he has always been ok with it. Should I be able to see the bit when I turn him like that? All advice appreciated!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
You may find a bit with D rings or cheeks a help with turning.
Jogging downhill can be a balance thing. If he starts jogging then stop and let him rebalance himself and walk on again.

Omni2

Visit site
You may find a bit with D rings or cheeks a help with turning.
Jogging downhill can be a balance thing. If he starts jogging then stop and let him rebalance himself and walk on again.
Okay thanks - he does seem a bit balance less! Prone to stumble as well but sure as a beginner (who is a bit tall for him) I am not helping! Will google d ring bits. Thanks

Barton Bounty

If you heard the rumours it is probably true 😂
Visit site
Can you explain more? He has a snaffle with loose bit rings currently ( I think ?)!
They are basically bits of rubber to put on the bit to give some support to the side of the mouth , literally £4 something

Attachments

• F7DFB660-84E5-414F-9A02-5D85D9C79CF3.jpeg
    F7DFB660-84E5-414F-9A02-5D85D9C79CF3.jpeg
    91.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 0A60258A-A00B-4434-B7F1-B57668326D9F.jpeg
    0A60258A-A00B-4434-B7F1-B57668326D9F.jpeg
    126.1 KB · Views: 1

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
You use two pieces of baking twine to get them on. Put them through the hole, tie one to something solid and pull on the other and the bit goes through the stretched hole easily.

Iznurgle

Visit site
Or you can splash out on silicone ones (I think Decathlon sell them?) which are dead easy to put on!

oldie48

Visit site
Just a thought, when going down hill, try to ensure your weight isn't going forward, sit up and sit back but give him enough rein to find his balance, if he jogs, a sharp check with the reins (I call it an "Oi, come here mate!") followed by a give often works better than a constant pull, which the horse can set against and try to keep your seat in the saddle.

Omni2

Visit site
Just a thought, when going down hill, try to ensure your weight isn't going forward, sit up and sit back but give him enough rein to find his balance, if he jogs, a sharp check with the reins (I call it an "Oi, come here mate!") followed by a give often works better than a constant pull, which the horse can set against and try to keep your seat in the saddle.
Thanks! We have had a great young girl rider on him and he behaves perfectly for her so it must be us. He is still not turning left for me much either and wants to head home all the time if we are schooling - hacking not to bad till we turn then joggy homewards! Feeling a little defeated.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
How about having some lessons both yourself and your daughter as you need to be able to help the pony , could you get someone to come and help you with him, it may just be that you are asking him in the wrong way.. good luck

Omni2

Visit site
How about having some lessons both yourself and your daughter as you need to be able to help the pony , could you get someone to come and help you with him, it may just be that you are asking him in the wrong way.. good luck
Thanks - I have a person that comes but she says she can’t teach us on him as he misbehaves with us and we need to learn more on a pony that will do what’s it is told and transfer the skills - so she thinks riding lessons at a school but really struggling to find any locally with space. Her daughter rode him yesterday and he was perfect so going to go out today and see how he is with me after being perfect with someone else!

Bob notacob

Visit site
Bottom Line ! You have a young green horse(congratulations, a world ahead of you both),You need expert help. A novice rider can learn from an experienced horse ,and a green horse can find its way with an experienced rider. But green horse and green riders , you need expert assistance.

Omni2

Visit site
Can you explain more? He has a snaffle with loose bit rings currently ( I think ?)!
Hi! Got bit rings and got them on the bit/ are they meant to be loose on the bit so they can fall into the middle ( when not on the horse obviously) or should they be snug to the bit and not move? Thanks for all the help.