Bit worried about how kick injury is healing

LauraBR

Visit site
Sam got kicked in the field 10 days ago. Nasty cut when he came in and localised swelling just above his off rear fetlock. I cleaned it, poulticed it overnight and then left it open to heal with some antiseptic spray.

The cut looked to be healing brilliantly but the swelling was still there (puffy all over after the first day)... on Monday I felt a bit of heat so got a course of antibiotics from the vet who advised to poultice again for 48 hours and then cover in Aluspray.

Wound looked great after poulticing- it had opened up again and looked clean and healthy. Swelling went down with the abs so all is better- except now there is a hard lump left.

I'm assuming this is scar tissue/bruising as it is over the bone, it isn't warm, and it doesn't seem to bother him when I poke and prod. He isn't lame on the leg but he's unlevel so it is obviously bothering him a little.

Will admit to never having really dealt with a kick over the bone like this so not too sure what to expect? Have stuck some photos below- let me know what you think?
leg1.jpg

leg2.jpg

Caritas

Visit site
It may always be there although the unlevelness may sort itself out. If I was as worried as you i would call the vet and ask as many questions as you want to put your mind at rest. Good luck!!

rosita

Visit site
Don't mean to worry you but having dealt with a few kicks like this if he's still lame would probably get the vet. Common in polo to have whacks on the bone, very paranoid about hairline fractures! not nice when they go. As I say bit paranoid but always better safe than sorry!

_jetset_

Visit site
It does sound like it could be scar tissue... someone at the yard mentioned something which helped break down the scar tissue but I can't remember what it was!

If you are unsure I would just get the vet to come back out and have a quick look at it, especially if he is unlevel on it. It could just be that it is bruised and sore... after all, I am sure I would be if the same thing had happened to me.

laurag

Visit site
Hi,
My horse got kicked on outside of hock. Had to have xrayed as they thought may have fractured splint bone. Luckily didn't just needed abs and pouliticing. But he had hard boney lump on his bone for quite some time after the injury occurred. Eventually didn't cause him any pain at all but the actual lump took time. Did same on cannon bone too and that lump never caused lameness but it was there for ages. I'd chat to vet about it but if he becomes sound prob just scar tissue taking time to receed.
Good Luck.

lainy

Visit site
ive just seen this post. my yearling had a similar injury, though not a kick, which resulted in a nasty cut in almost the same place. the healing process was seemingly endless, though he was constantly treated...tried everything including cold hosing, poulticing etc, but was left with a big unsightly lump and hard tissue. Because i felt i had tried everything else (and was despairing a bit!!!!!!! ) i hired an electro-magnetic pulse machine and a couple of months down the road saw good results.......mabe would have come right by itself, but i really do think that treatment helped

LauraBR

Visit site
Thanks for all the responses.

[ QUOTE ]
TBH - I would be calling the vet out - SOON!

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you say that SN?
shocked.gif

The bioflows seem to help loads so sticking with them, he's had his missing rear shoe put back on today and is looking much better. YO thinks lump will take months to go but not to worry.

He's never been lame on it- just unlevel on the lunge which could equally have been due to lost shoe. Keeping an eye on it, vets don't seem too concerned either...

S_N

Visit site
Similar reasons to rosita - known a couple of racehorses and youngstock with similar looking injuries that seemed to be healing and have just, well............snapped - sorry!

jamesc

New User
Visit site
Green Lipped Mussel is needed, I used it on my Mares swollen lame leg and it sorted that out a treat

Green Lipped Mussel - for the swelling
Hyualronic Acid - for the skin.

I think a company called www.Maxavita.com supply the GLM I wouldnt know about the hyualronic though. I just found out that its exellent for skin healing.

Fiona

Visit site
Ben whacked the front of his cannon bone on a gate (kicking out at a mare - long story!) a few years ago and had a hard lump there for quite a while as the surface of the bone had lifted and formed new bone. Like a splint, it went away eventually and I can't remember which leg it was now - no sign at all. He was lame on it for about a week or so.

Fiona