Bitch in season - out for walk. I'm furious

Spook

Visit site
Now why do all those camel jokes come to mind?????????? unless I've never understood them.

I suppose we could say that an entire dog is permanently ready to mate, so should be on a lead at all times........ unless he has perfect re-call, is at home or "working/mateing" of course. Just as bitches on heat should be on a lead...... simples!.......Personally I think that it is time for a change of attitude and dogs should always be on a lead unless they are at home...... those who only have accommodation for a lap dog should have a lap dog.....

I must confess to assuming that the walker of the bitch had a very long stick.......but it seems not...... and the dog in trouble was a bitch anyway!!!!!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
The OP does also state that the woman only had to move 12 or 15 feet to hit her dog , so the dog was very close, and not on a lead. OK so I'm a new dog owner but if a dog I don't know, not on a lead, not obviously under control comes towards me I get worried. I have no way of knowing whether the owner can control the dog and from the sound of it the OP's dog was closer to the the offending woman than the OP was to her own dog.

paddi22

Visit site
/\/\/\
we had a rescue dog who we always kept on a lead, and she would get incredibly stressed and aggressive is strange dogs (not on a lead) ran over too close to her.

I used to pre-emptively warn away dogs as you just don't know if they are going to suddenly react to my dog snarling and barking. The amount of times dogs (who i imagine were friendly 99% of time) would suddenly, in the blink of an eye, react and then you're in the middle of a fight trying to lift your freaked out dog out of harms way.

It used to drive me mad calling to owners coming towards me to put their dogs on a lead. There were some owners I didn't need to warn as you could tell their dogs were amazingly well trained dogs, and had perfect recall. But the majority had goofy friendly dogs who just wanted to come over and have a look. Owners would call over 'don't worry he's really friendly!' and i'd be shouting back "well mine isn't!'

foxy1

Visit site
I can't see how the off lead dog was close enough to the on lead dog to be hit with the stick then? I've read the OP a couple of times, maybe I'm being thick

burge

Visit site
I have a 'fear agressive' JRT bitch who is put back on her lead as soon as I see another dog in the vicinity even if that dog is on a lead or not. You would be amazed at how many times I have strange dogs run over to her (never in season - she is spayed) with owners shouting 'It's ok he's friendly!' WELL MINE ISN'T!! Bloody numpties! The dog doesn't have to be that close for me to be worried - I don't know the other dog or how close it is likely to come so playing devils advocate a bit here it sounds like 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

FreddiesGal

Visit site
Sounds like all of you with dog aggressive/fear aggressive dogs have something in common - you're all 'worried', which is going to do nothing for your dogs.

With regards to keeping dogs in - I'm amazed at how some people think this is ok. Get in the car and find somewhere secluded to walk on a lead. I'd like to see how you feel free being kept in the house day in day out.

MurphysMinder

Visit site
You have a point Freddies Gal, but it is understandable that people are worried when they meet people out walking who show no common sense. I used to walk with a friend who had a very DA german shepherd , yes she did worry if people let their little darlings run up to him, because if he had bitten one and caused damage she would have felt terrible, and there was every chance that her dog would be reported.

paddi22

Visit site
Sounds like all of you with dog aggressive/fear aggressive dogs have something in common - you're all 'worried', which is going to do nothing for your dogs.

I'm don't worry much really though. Compared to dealing with two large horses, dogs don't particularly worry me at all. I just hate the hassle of lifting my terrified and screaming dog out of a fight she is only in because another owner can't control their dog. To be honest it's not worry - its knowing, from experience, whats going to happen 99% of the time when dogs walk over to a rescue who has issues.

It drives me mad sometimes. We live near a beach and have chickens, and the amount of people whose dogs jump into the garden and try and chase them is incredible. And the owners are so apologetic and say 'oh he usually comes back, he just got too excited'.

when she is off the lead with other dogs we know (in gardens etc) she is fine. I would love to be able to walk her off the lead in parks but i don't trust her recall, and so out of politeness would never put other owners through what we go through

Last edited:

Nikki J

Visit site
This is always an emotive subject. The way I see it is - I hope - a matter of commonsense. Dogs need to be exercised - in season or not - and IMO it is unreasonable to expect owners of bitches to "keep them in" for 3 weeks twice a year. However, equally I get very peeved when owners get irate if my entire male shows interest in their bitch when she is on. My boy is a babe magnet, and invariably the bitch will be misbehaving, pulling on her lead, gagging to get at my boy - he in turn is also misbehaving, pulling on his lead and howling at her to come to him! But invariably when this happens, it is all OUR fault - OUR fault that the bitch fancies my boy!! This infuriates me, and will usually end up with me emitting angry words at the owner.

So whereas I fully support the right and indeed the necessity for bitches in season to be exercised, owners must expect entire males to show interest - and for their bitch to do likewise! There's no point getting ruftie and tuftie and hoity toity because my boy is showing great desire to investigate your bitch's most private parts - it's called nature, and he will never change. Actually, my castrated boy is even worse than the entire when it comes to bitches in season - he will pursue them relentlessly if not kept on his lead.

Llanali

Visit site
Seriously? I have never ever stopped walking a bitch when she comes into season! I don't know anybody that confines them to the house.

I wouldn't let them off, but then I don't let mine off in public anyway.

And yes, if I frequently met other dogs I might choose a different route or time, but I am gobsmacked at the idea they should be locked away.

Bourbons

Visit site
I was walking Logan across some fields the other evening, when this chuffing great big Malamut came hurtling out of a bush, grabbed him by the throat and pinned him to the floor. This dog's owner came chasing after her shouting "shes's in season!!" and tried pushing Logan (who by the way is neutered) into a ditch!!! Logan was cowering with his tail between his legs, completely bewildered as to what was going on.

I was furious, and verbally let rip about how his Malamut should not be off the lead in the first place, and if she is in season and he was that concerned about her getting pregnant, she should be on the lead!! :mad:

misterjinglejay

Visit site
Absolutely should be on lead, and not for just for aggression.

Malamutes are getting a bad reputation, unfortunately, as twonks who like the status/wolfy looking dogs buy and breed them without a clue how difficult they can be. Cue puppy ending up being passed from pillar to post, getting more and more confused. *and breathe*

Ours are the most loving mals you could ever meet, so soft and friendly - they are walked on lead and have mixed safely with all other dogs from pup hood.
I have always walked my bitches in season, but kept them on lead and out of the way of other dogs.

Nikki J

Visit site
Absolutely should be on lead, and not for just for aggression.

Malamutes are getting a bad reputation, unfortunately, as twonks who like the status/wolfy looking dogs buy and breed them without a clue how difficult they can be. Cue puppy ending up being passed from pillar to post, getting more and more confused. *and breathe*

Ours are the most loving mals you could ever meet, so soft and friendly - they are walked on lead and have mixed safely with all other dogs from pup hood.
I have always walked my bitches in season, but kept them on lead and out of the way of other dogs.

As an owner of Mal crosses - 1 castrated, 1 entire - I am a HUGE fan. They are indeed as you describe them, but as you say unfortunately far too many people have what I called Snow Dog fever!! They've seen the film - now they want to have one - without any idea of how much exercise they need, how often they suffer from separation anxiety and cannot be left home alone, how they can dig up your garden in seconds, the males can be very aggressive towards other males and the females towards other females - not all, but many. They are hugely intelligent, powerful, self-willed and absolutely delightful dogs, but they are very definitely not for everybody - only for people who are mad!! My 2 boys are delightful, have excellent recall, but the castrated one can be very DA towards other males. Whereas I am not one who believes that Mals and huskies should never be allowed off the lead, I certainly would never let a female Mal in heat off lead - anywhere!!

Ben, the DA dog, is a perfect example of someone who had Snow Dog fever!! Poor Ben has been passed from pillar to post until he landed up with us - as a rather nasty, unpredictable dog who was fine as long as he got his own way, but if you tried to make him do something he did not want to do, he would turn on you - and weighing in at 45 kilos, that was no joke! We have had him nearly 3 years now, and he is a delightful dog, a joy to own - but he can be very funny with some male dogs, so we have to be very, very careful with him vis a vis other male dogs.

It is such a shame that twonks are ending up with these wonderful dogs - yours' sound absolutely gorgeous!!

MagicMelon

Visit site
IMO, if you think you're likely to come across other dogs then you should always keep your dogs on leads anyway. A lot of people dont like dogs for a start! I take my young year old son out for a "toddle" quite regularly and the last thing I'd want is 2 big strange lurchers coming towards us. Same if I was out riding, I wouldn't want 2 dogs rushing out of the undergrowth. The lady was doing the intelligent thing and keeping her dog on a lead, who cares if it was in heat or not - whats she meant to do not let it out of the house?!

My OH's families dog has "issues" and is very defensive and nervous round strange dogs (lovely dog at home) so if a loose dog rushes up to him (who is always kept on a lead) then he unfortunately will let rip. The result is that sadly the dog is rarely taken out in public anymore (luckily they have a very large fenced garden and a forest which nobody else uses), but its really sad. All because other people think its ok to let their dog rush up to other dogs.

My 4 month old labradoodle is the friendliest thing, but I only let her off the lead in our field. Mainly for her own safety in case we did come across another dog who quite possibly isn't as friendly as her!

Last edited:

MagicMelon

Visit site
IMO, if you think you're likely to come across other dogs then you should always keep your dogs on leads anyway. A lot of people dont like dogs for a start! I take my young year old son out for a "toddle" quite regularly and the last thing I'd want is 2 big strange lurchers coming towards us. Same if I was out riding, I wouldn't want 2 dogs rushing out of the undergrowth. The lady was doing the intelligent thing and keeping her dog on a lead, who cares if it was in heat or not - whats she meant to do not let it out of the house?!

My OH's families dog has "issues" and is very defensive and nervous round strange dogs (lovely dog at home) so if a loose dog rushes up to him (who is always kept on a lead) then he unfortunately will let rip. The result is that sadly the dog is rarely taken out in public anymore (luckily they have a very large fenced garden and a forest which nobody else uses), but its really sad. All because other people think its ok to let their dog rush up to other dogs.

My 4 month old labradoodle is the friendliest thing, but I only let her off the lead in our field. Mainly for her own safety in case we did come across another dog who quite possibly isn't as friendly as her!

Becky&Ollie-x - You need to control your dogs. Sorry but you're totally in the wrong. Why should the guy walk his dog in a different field because your dogs are badly behaved?! Ok, yours aren't aggressive however the guy clearly doesn't want your dog near him or his dog so DON'T let your dog do that! Good grief!

Crackedhalo

Visit site
Becky&Ollie-x - You need to control your dogs. Sorry but you're totally in the wrong. Why should the guy walk his dog in a different field because your dogs are badly behaved?! Ok, yours aren't aggressive however the guy clearly doesn't want your dog near him or his dog so DON'T let your dog do that! Good grief!

Completely agree with this, Becky&Ollie it is your responsibility to control your dogs, Other dog walkers shouldn't have to change their route just because you can't be bothered to train your dogs. It is very irresponsible to allow your dog to behave in that way, Theres nothing i hate more than when i have my dogs on the lead and another dog comes running over to 'play' with the clueless owner shouting 'its ok he's friendly'. Mine are not which is why they are under control on the lead!

misterjinglejay

Visit site
Basically - I know how u feel. I am outraged (hes done it 6 or 7 times now!) thing is my OH plays rough with her, and she mouths (not bites lol) and I know fo r afatc he he waves his arms roudn her face n starts slapping her she will probs think hes playing they Im guessing he will request shes PTS for being "dangerous" dog.

And what will you do if this man does request that she's put to sleep??

Can you not direst her energy with something like agility training? And that way when you walk her she can be on the lead. Or really work on her training?

I hate to say it, but if he does request PTS, it's your own fault - sorry