Biting advice - Youngster

dorsetladette

Visit site
Hello everyone.

I'm backing my youngster as some of you know.

Bit of back ground - He's worn a bit for in hand work since he was about 18 months as he was to excitable and strong to hold in a white halter at shows. He's never really mouthed on a bit and has been comfortable with both the little plastic straight bar bit on his in hand bridle and the loose ring happy mouth I've put on his riding bridle (just having one of these for him makes me giddy with excitement!).

I rode him for the first time unassisted (off the lunge) on Monday and sent a video to my mum as I was really proud of my clever little pony. Mum is quite critical but generally (much to my annoyance) knows what she is talking about even if a little out of date. So the critique came back that I should change his bit to a eggbutt snaffle has he won't 'fight' me as much in a jointed bit.

He does toss his head about a bit, but I put that down to my inconsistent contact (loose reins) and he is very bendy (head turns and shoulders and body doesn't always follow straight away) but I wouldn't say he was fighting me, more that he's still learning aids.

So what do others think? it's really early days with him (think I've sat on him 6 or 7 times). Is it to early to be messing around with different bits and tack.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I start every horse in a single jointed eggbutt. I don't care for loose rings, and loose rings on a loose or inconsistent contact can just be too unstable for some horses. I've found most of my horses have preferred a fixed cheek, especially in the beginning.

I also don't start in solid mouth pieces, or use them in general, except for the Weymouth in a double. I wouldn't be opposed to going to an eggbutt even though it's early days.

dorsetladette

Visit site
I start every horse in a single jointed eggbutt. I don't care for loose rings, and loose rings on a loose or inconsistent contact can just be too unstable for some horses. I've found most of my horses have preferred a fixed cheek, especially in the beginning.

I also don't start in solid mouth pieces, or use them in general, except for the Weymouth in a double. I wouldn't be opposed to going to an eggbutt even though it's early days.

I shall try him in an eggbutt at the weekend. Your explanation of the inconsistent contact makes logical sense. Maybe mum's description of 'fighting' is what made me question the advice.

Thank you! :)

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
I’m not keen on loose ring but our youngster is in straight nylon mouthpiece to encourage mouthing and reaching comfortably for contact. I feel single joint bits are a bit “nippy” whilst youngster is learning.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I’m not keen on loose ring but our youngster is in straight nylon mouthpiece to encourage mouthing and reaching comfortably for contact. I feel single joint bits are a bit “nippy” whilst youngster is learning.

Can I ask what you mean by nippy?

I don't mind solid mouthpieces, but don't really use them. I did once for a horse that needed to be encouraged to reach for the contact and I thought he'd like a solid mouthpiece but he hated it, of course! Because horses.

I do like my Fager eggbutt because I like titanium as a metal, and it locks upward and forward. So while it's not solid, it has "limits" if that makes sense.

I mean, ultimately I go with what is best for the horse. Current youngster is long lining well in a single jointed eggbutt and reaching into the contact nicely. I'm not fixing what's not broken 🤣

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
I don't like a single joint on any bit, for any horse, because they nutcracker and put great pressure on the bars of their mouth and can poke into their pallets - it's a hugely subjective topic bitting.

Dex has tried a french link, a curved bomber type mouth piece, eggbutt, full cheek and he liked a loose ring copper lozenge the most. It's definitely not too soon to play around with bits, and some definitely prefer a loose ring, but also I wouldn't mind a bit of inconsistency or chomping. That being said, that was the sign I used for Dex not loving a bit. The best way to find out early days I would say is on the long reins, as you can pick up a contact but they're not thinking about you being on their back or the other elements of being ridden early days.

dorsetladette

Visit site
I don't like a single joint on any bit, for any horse, because they nutcracker and put great pressure on the bars of their mouth and can poke into their pallets - it's a hugely subjective topic bitting.

Dex has tried a french link, a curved bomber type mouth piece, eggbutt, full cheek and he liked a loose ring copper lozenge the most. It's definitely not too soon to play around with bits, and some definitely prefer a loose ring, but also I wouldn't mind a bit of inconsistency or chomping. That being said, that was the sign I used for Dex not loving a bit. The best way to find out early days I would say is on the long reins, as you can pick up a contact but they're not thinking about you being on their back or the other elements of being ridden early days.
I've got a few different bits in his size so I will play around with different ones.

I'm not a fan of a single jointed bit either, but I have one so I'll try it and see if he's any different.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
What I meant by nippy was the single jointed bit can practically fold in half and depending on head carriage and contact/hand height can allow the joint to push forward or upwards into tongue or upper palate ..it’s that nut cracker action to create pressure on bars etc that I’m not keen on. Having said all that the oldie mare before she retired wouldn’t work properly in anything other than a metal single joint snaffle…

maya2008

Visit site
Eggbutt French link or lozenge snaffle. Safest thing going for those first few weeks/months. No chance of you catching their lips when they argue (which they will, at some point) where a loose ring can trap and pinch, and nice clear signals for the horse from either rein for turning. I've literally just ordered one for my youngster, because she's been borrowing her friend's and friend is now coming back into work after some time off.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site

What I meant by nippy was the single jointed bit can practically fold in half and depending on head carriage and contact/hand height can allow the joint to push forward or upwards into tongue or upper palate ..it’s that nut cracker action to create pressure on bars etc that I’m not keen on. Having said all that the oldie mare before she retired wouldn’t work properly in anything other than a metal single joint snaffle…

Ah yes, the nutcracker. There's the sheer physics of the bit folding in half that need to be considered here. You'd have to be in the right situation at the right angles with the right force for that to happen. There are many unpleasant things that can happen with a variety of bits depending on contact, hand height, and head carriage. When you have the "perfect storm" you can get high amounts of pressure on the tongue, bars, and/or palate.

I do feel like people are a bit too dramatic about the but cracker action of a single jointed bit at times, but to each their own. In any extreme situation any but is going to apply excessive pressure somewhere.

As I said up thread, I do have a Fager that limits the amount the joint can go upwards and forwards, so that's a nice solution for a horse that likes a single joint and a rider that's wary of the nutcracker effect. It can also encourage a horse that backs off the contact a bit to seek the contact. It's not a solid bit, but not a fully articulating jointed bit, and I found it to be a nice middle ground for some horses.

Most of my horses have preferred a single joint for whatever reason(s) and since I compete in dressage, or did compete, bit legalities were taken into consideration so bits such as a French Link, were off the table. The French Link isn't exactly "kinder" or "better" than a single jointed bit because it too can apply pressure to the palate and/or tongue in certain ways.

Hoping these links will work for some more info on bits and applied pressure:

If the link doesn't work, search for: Bitting: The Inside Story by Hilary M. Clayton, BVMS, PHD, MRCVS

I'm not one to get worked up over nutcrackers or French links, and I just go with what the horse prefers. My starting point is generally a single jointed eggbutt snaffle. Not because I'm some nut cracking barbarian ;) Your mileage may vary.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
I start mine in a JP curved snaffle if possible. They seem to fit better than other single jointed bits. I always have a selection to hand of various snaffles, hanging cheek, single jointed and current pony settled beautifully in a comfort barrel loose ring.

Last edited: