Biting :-(

Horsehead

Visit site
My horse has started biting maliciously it seems. When I put on her head collar and sometimes when grooming. She's always been a little nippy but she would never mean to get me, but she's bitten me quite nastily twice in as many days and I'm at odds as to how to stop her. My mum suggested a psychiatrist! Haha

Anyway I don't know how to go about stopping the behaviour. She never did it at the last yard we were at, have been at the new yard about a month or so and she's picked it up somehow.

Long story short, what's the best way to stop biting in peoples opinion?

GingerCat

Visit site
Hhmm! It does sound like she' s uncomfortable in some way.

Is she the 'tickly type'?

Have you got new brushes that are perhaps a bit harsh?

Is her skin sensitive through fly spray or flies them selves?

If this is a change in character then there must be a reason for it :confused:
Just re read your post and realise you're on a new yard.
It's possible that she is struggling to settle in and so is taking her stresses out on the person she can trust..you.

Hopefully she'll find her place soon and settle back to her usual self soon.

Hope you get to the bottom of it ;)

Last edited:

Marydoll

Visit site
Sorry but wouldnt put up wi that, go in to groom wearing a padded jacket, let on youre grooming her/him but watch, if she turns to bite, knock into her face quite hard with your elbow and then carry on as normal, its not pleasant, your not using your hand to strike her so shes not likely to get head shy and every time she trys it, put the elbow in, it worked a treat for my girl.

Horsehead

Visit site
That sounds like sound advice there. Thanks :)

I can't be arsed to write her whole history but she's an extremely sensitive TB. I know my horse inside out! it's literally when the headcollar goes near her otherwise she's fine, never goes to bite any other time, and it's only the first time I put the headcollar on when I get to the yard.

We've had other behavioural issues that we've worked through. I've just never known the best way to stop biting because I'm not a fan of smacking, so the elbow thing sounds good!

Tickles

Visit site
Sounds to me like she is unhappy with the headcollar or possibly the way you put it on. Possibly she is unhappy about what you then do but if it is only then I'd guess more likely the collar itself.

Does she do it with other people?
What happens if you go to the yard, groom where she is (I'm guessing she is stabled at this point usually?), and then tack up in the stable? I.e. don't use the head collar.

Is it a new collar?
Is it a control collar/rope one?
Could she have something bothering her in ears? (Have a peek inside for scabs/inflammation.)
Possibly something around nose/poll?

If you usually put it on like a bridle try undoing the head piece and putting it on by flipping that over once her nose is in.

Or if you usually do it that way then try putting it on like a bridle.

Obviously it isn't OK for her to bite but if this is a new thing and only happens at a very specific time I'd want to get to the bottom of it.

beeswax

Visit site
sounds like she is in or coming in to season esp as she is biting when being groomed, put her on moody mare.

Nijdypie

Visit site
Hmmm this is a strange one isnt it?!

About a month after I bought 1 of my horses he was struck across the face with a schooling whip by someone walking past the stable he was in (I kept him at a riding school so there was always a lot of strangers around).

It resulted in him malicously biting anyone and anything that came near his head and him chasing a fair few people out of the field! It got so bad that we were advised to have him put down by a vet...after he'd received a hefty bite to the arm...as everyone believed he was too dangerous to be around people.

Im happy to say that I ignored the vets advise and have now owned him for just on 10 years! It took alot of time and patience...and standing my ground with him to prove I wasnt scared of him...but he did pretty much stop biting.

Long story not really cut short..is there a possibility maybe someone at your new yard has done something to upset her? I know its not a pleasant thing to think off but unfortunately it does happen.
The elbow trick does sound quite good...you're able to stand your ground without actually hitting her, which obviously can make things worse.

Black_Horse_White

Visit site
A horse at our yard had this problem when you went to put his head collar on, turned out he had a sore on his poll, maybe have a look just to make sure your horse hasn't maybe banged her head and is a little tender there.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
It sounds like it's one of two things:

She has banged her poll (could have done ot travelling or just in the stable), in which case the behaviour will disappear in a week or so.

Or, She doesn't like her new yard and something, someone or some horse is stressing her out. Either way, it doesn't sound like a proper behavioural problem to me. I think if you can find out the cause then you will solve the problem.

My normally very head friendly gelding (would let you touch him anywhere all over his head), suddenly would not let me put the headcollar or bridle on. He would shoot backwards and quite violently jerk his head away. After sedating him, I found he had some dried blood in his forelock. He had banged his poll (in the field). It was 3 weeks before he would let me touch his head, but now he's fine again.

I had a horse arrive on my yard with a reputation for being really difficult to handle. Yet I never had a moments problem with him and he was a changed horse the moment he arrived on my yard. His owner and farrier could not believe the difference. After a few months, his owner found out that he was hated by the owner at the previous yard who would treat him really badly. His owner had no idea!

Horsehead

Visit site
Thanks, all very interesting. She is super sensitive when cycling so that's the sensitivity to grooming, I know how to cope with that! The horse next to her is really stressy, so actually it could e to do with that I hadn't thought about it. She's due the chiro

Horsehead

Visit site
Writing on phone and finger slipped before finishing...

She's never been one who loves her face touched. I'm very careful around her head and I check her all over everyday because shes accident prone. She's always been a bit nippy I just don't want it to get worse. I'm good at problem solving hense how we've resolved everything else because at the end of the day, all I want is her to be happy!

And in answer to someone, it's the same headcollar she's always worn