Bitless bridle for hacking?

Jingleballs

Visit site
I’d bought a micklem multi bridle recently as I liked the idea of being able to hack my very steady and sensible cob out bitless.

Unfortunately I was disappointed with the quality and sent it back so I’m looking at other options.

It will primarily be used for hacking although I will try and do some schooling in it as I’m trying to focus more on seat and weight aids.

I don’t fancy a hackamore but maybe a dr cooks type bridle or something similar.

I know there are quite a few options so looking for some recommendations – ideally don’t want to spend too much – maybe up to £50??

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Might be worth checking your insurance policy small print first... it might have some sort of comment in about needing to have a bridle and bit on the road, to have "full control" or something like that.

Re the schooling stuff - you can still focus on seat and weight aids in a bridle with a bit.

Regandal

Visit site
I regularly hack out in a bitless - the crossunder style. No problems, unless we're in a group and go for a canter. Can be strong, but then he's strong in that situation in a bitted bridle. I love mine.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I use the english version - the german has longer shanks and is harsher.

With a hackamore, you need to have very sensitive hands. And make absolutely sure it is fitted correctly (lots of pics on google). If used properly, you should not need to use much pressure at all - as with bits, it is only as harsh as the rider is with it. I find the shanks give good stearing too.

I use it all the time now, even on pleasure rides where things can get very heated. Maybe have a lesson when you first try it out ?

Last edited:

TigerTail

Visit site
Mine hates the dr cooks too, one and only time she has reared because it didnt release under her face. I have a hackamore too and put a sheepskin band under the nosepiece for extra piece of mind. To me they are a clearer form of communication.

Brightbay

Visit site
I'm surprised you didn't like the quality of the Micklem, if your budget for a bitless is £50?

I use a Micklem. I have also used an Easytrek Crossunder (probably in your budget - Indian leather, but OK), an Orbitless which is a noseband that attaches to a regular bridle, and a Flower Hackamore (also a noseband, less leverage than an English hackamore).

Of these, I prefer the Micklem. I use it on the sidepull setting - just reins clipped to the rings on the noseband. I don't have to worry about a proper "release", something that was an issue with the crossunder I used, and I don't have to worry about metal digging into the side of the horse's face - an issue with the Flower hack. The Orbitless worked well, but I found it wasn't as stable on the horse's face as the Micklem and the cheekpieces tended to pull a bit close to his eyes.

I have used the Micklem for regular hacking, but also for very exciting outings (e.g. a beach pleasure ride where we had horses cantering towards us, as well as faster horses passing us) and had no problems, but I tend to put a lot of emphasis on training/schooling and the bridle as communication rather than control?

In terms of insurance, it is certainly worth checking with yours to make sure you are covered for hacking bitless - if you find you're not, I use Fidelius (http://www.fidelius.co.uk/insurance-services/personal-solutions/equine-insurance/horse-and-rider/).

ETA - yes, you can modify a crossunder to make a sidepull - just use clip on reins, and clip the ring of each crossunder strap to the ring on the opposite side of the noseband.
You can also use the Easytrek noseband on its own attached to a regular bridle and reins on each side ring - my friend has it set up this way.

Last edited:

Auslander

Visit site
See I always though that Hackamores were a more severe form of bitless?

They're only as harsh as the hands at the end of them. i use a german hackamore, which has extremely long shanks, and could do untold amounts of damage if misused, but it produces a lovely light effect with very little pressure. I'd rather use that gently, than haul on a snaffle.

No steering whatsoever, so I wouldn't use it on a horse who might spook and whip round!

Jingleballs

Visit site
I'm surprised you didn't like the quality of the Micklem, if your budget for a bitless is £50?

I was hoping to use the Micklem as both a bitted an bitless bridle but when a friend lent me hers to try - which she only uses for competitions - she noticed that all the leather had stretched on the cheekpieces to the point of almost snapping whcih has really put me off buying one.

I'll have a look at the other ones you mentioned.

Auslander - horses is a saint - doesn't spook, spin etc - I've ridden him in a head collar before with no issue and he's in a standard cavesson and comfort snaffle for schooling.

He can lean on the bit but isn't prone to tanking off - just want something that gives him a break from the bit when we go for wee potters.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Something has happened to your friends micklem .
I have two in daily use they are still in good knick the oldest will be eight years old .

Brightbay

Visit site
Something has happened to your friends micklem .
I have two in daily use they are still in good knick the oldest will be eight years old .

^^^ This, definitely - she should contact Horseware, something very not right about that!

I am not kind to bridles, and mine's lasting absolutely fine. It is not the nicest leather, and if I'd bought a regular bridle for that price, I'd be disappointed, but it's nice enough and in my eyes, I'm paying a bit extra for design features. It is the best fitting bridle I've had on this particular horse. Definitely no stretching!

The leather in the Easytrek bitless (£50 on eBay) is not nearly as nice as the leather in the Micklem. Mind you, neither is as nice as the leather in the Jaguar one I currently have the Orbitless attached to ;)

Jingleballs

Visit site
This is the second one she's had issues with - the first one broke within a week - hence my reluctance to part with my £££.

Having looked online, I like the idea of the orbitless one - I'd like one that still allows me to work on flexion/bend when hacking whereas the hackamore seems to be more for strong horses with limited control over flexion or bend.

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
I want to try the orbitless but it's so damned expensive for what it is !!!! The noseband is near on £50 for a few curcular bits of metal and some Beta straps. I refuse to pay that. So my hackamore it is.

Amicus

Visit site
I have an easytrek cross under I'm very happy with, pony goes equally well in it as his happymouth and leather seems very nice considering it's not english. However, I had another pony a few years ago who hated the cross under action so it seems very much horses for courses.

claribella

Visit site
I like a rope halter and mecate reins on my girl. We tried a scawbrig but she preferred less pressure. I got my scawbrig from bitlessandbarefoot.com. She does many many bridles including sidepull, scawbrig, dr cook style etc etc. She also does the matrix which converts to every style of bitless so you can faff about and find what works for you. She also does sidepull and scawbrig that attach to your existing bridle so theres tonnes of choice there. Theres also a bargain basement where last time I looked there were quite a few reduced. Definitely worth a gander. The quality is good too.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Mine hated the Dr Cooks. The steering felt very heavy and if I needed to stop him he could just put his head between his knees and ignore me. He's normally well behaved but he just took the mickey in it.

Dumbo

Visit site
Havent read other comments but my suggestion is a sidepull. I bought mine from Bitless and Barefoot. They also do a 'matrix' bridle and have just the nosebands available too if you want to attach it to your current bridle. Gives you the option of a hackamore too.
I've galloped my ex racer full speed in an open park in my sidepull and felt in control and regularly hack on the roads in it. With enough ground work bitless is fab.