BITLESS BRIDLES - WHAT DO YOU THINK?

zeuscleoharmony

Visit site
I have been riding my horse, a 16.2 hh ID x Cob for the last three years in a cross under (Dr Cooks) bitless bridle. Previously he was in a Happy Mouth snaffle but just wasn't 'right', tense, uptight, sometimes naughty. I sought advice from several people who recommended stronger bits but this wasn't really the way I wanted to go. I read up about bitless and thought I would give it a try and for me it has been wondeful, uneventful and my boy is very, very happy and relaxed in it. After a week or so of riding bitless I thought I would experiment and try him back with a bit. Immediately, he tensed up, was uptight and during our ride when I asked him to canter he tried to buck. About half an hour from home I removed the bit and rode home, . He settled immediately. For me and my horse this concept has been wonderful and works for us. I wondered what your thoughts were and whether you would consider trying or have tried going bitless. If you have never considered a bitless bridle there is a Dr Cooks website and other websites giving lots of information and the concept behind them. I know what works for one may not work for another but am just interested to hear other peoples experiences/thoughts. xxx

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
I'd quite happily 'go bitless' if my ned was happier that way
smile.gif
. The only issue is if I want to BE or BD - have to have a bit, which I think is barking - after all, it's meant to be a test of obedience and if you can get the right level without a bit, where's the issue?

Sorry, a soapbox of mine
cool.gif

kayb

Visit site
Me and mine have been bitless for years. Same experiance as you really, never quite happy in a bit. I also agree that its sad you cant compeat at some things with one though.

madiz123

Visit site
You could always put a 'pretend' bit in your horses mouth at shows so that it looks like your using the bit but are actually using a bitless bridle?? you might have to find a very subtle bitless bridle though....

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I really want to try one on a pony of ours, who headshakes, holds his head on the side, chomps, and is generally very skitty.

What do people think of something like these, or do I have to go expensive and get a dr cooks, or is this the same?

Also how to sizings compare to traditional bridles?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...s%3DI%26otn%3D2

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=310144607845

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Libbys-bitless-sna...93%3A1|294%3A50

zeuscleoharmony

Visit site
Once I had done my research I bought an inexpensive leather one, a cross under (same as Dr Cooks but not) and it was perfect - around £29 off ebay. It is recommended you try the bridle out in a school, menage. I trusted by boy implicitly and am not fortunate to have any facilities so rode him out for about 20 mins in it up a bridle way. He took to it immediately. In my mindset I felt happy doing this because I can ride him in a head collar back and forth to the field and this wasn't much different in my mind. After 3 years I would never go back, it suits my circumstances and riding methods.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
So for my pony currently in a cob sized bridle, I should get a cob sized cheapie with cross overs on ebay. Thanks for that, don't want to spend lots on something that might not work, but at the same time, don't want to throw money on a cheap imitation if they are rubbish.

Pony is not strong as such, has tendencies to spin, rush and plunge when worried, though but I think these issues can be made worse by a bridle so I've heard. but can plod him across the field in a halter and have cantered in a halter in the past in our field (not a small one!) but leadrope can undone from one side which made it a bit hairy!!#

Thanks may bite the bullet and buy one.
smile.gif

zeuscleoharmony

Visit site
Remeber, always wear protective headgear, BP, boots, correct attire when trying out new concepts, have someone to in attendance if possible to give you a hand, always carry your mobile and take things slowly. SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT in our sport.

zeuscleoharmony

Visit site
If just one person goes bitless I will be thrilled - and it looks as if STENCILFACE is going to give it a go, good on you. It was really the best thing I ever did.

I cannot emphasise enough to do your research and be sensible and safe.

Please update on the forum to let us know how you get on.

D

Donkeymad

I have been driving bitless for a number of years, we are both so much happier than with a bit, not had any issues stopping or turning at all. I use a Dr Cook type made by my local saddler.
bitless will not suit every horse and rider, so I would recommend trialling first.

kibob

Visit site

My mare is ridden in a Dr Cook. She is very happy in it and I have full control, it's early days but if she continues to go so well in it then I see no reason to put a bit back in her mouth?
crazy.gif
It's my birthday soon and I'm going to ask for another one for my other horse
smile.gif

Happy2Hack

www.myspace.com
My gelding has been ridden in a Dr Cooks bitless bridle for over 3 years now - and he's great in it! He was never happy in a bit - always fussing, tense and trying to back off the contact - now he is happy and relaxed!