Bitless bridles

StarFell

Visit site
My pony has never been 100% happy in his mouth. He fusses around with his head quite a lot, and HATES jointed bits. I currently ride him in a straight bar loose ring snaffle, and although hes still not totally happy with it, it's the best one I've tried. Would it be worth trying him in a bitless bridle? The only thing that bothers me is that he can be quite strong when going faster than a walk on hacks, would I have a lot less control? His teeth are done regularly by the way :)

Jennyharvey

Visit site
I think that its great u are listening to your pony. I think hes telling you that the bit bothers him so good for realising it. If i had my way, no horse would have to wear a bit. Not enough people realise how the bit negatively effects the horse and the way of going because the mouth is no place for a piece of metal. No matter how light your hands are.
There are quite a few different bitless bridles out there so i would advise u too look around and ask some sellers what they would reccommend for your pony. And dont worry about brakes, if the pony is transitioned well, either by long lining or ground work you should be able to stop well, if not better because your not causing any pain.
And i would also advise to get someone who is experienced with bitless training to help you with the transition in case you have any questions or issues, and they can help you with them.

Doncella

Visit site
I am currently investigating leather bits but seem to have drawn a blank in this country and the only commercially made ones seem to be in NZ.
My horse has a bone spur in his lower jaw awaiting removal and currently working in a bitless bridle, however as I intend to do BE with him bitting for dressage is a necessity, however BE permit leather bits. The only ones I have seen over here are ones which have been made to the owners specifications.

Becca-84

Visit site
Would it be worth trying him in a bitless bridle? The only thing that bothers me is that he can be quite strong when going faster than a walk on hacks, would I have a lot less control? His teeth are done regularly by the way :)

Hi, when I got my mare she was ridden in a pelham and obviously hated it. I tried several different combinations but could never find anything that suited or that gave me enough control. She is very headstrong and if she decides out hacking that she wants to go home, she was just spin and go, getting faster and faster. The harder I tried to stop/turn, the faster she got so I usually had to just ride it out and eventually stopped hacking because it was getting dangerous. Then I tried her in an English Hackamore. She is a different pony. She hacks out happy now - even puts her ears forward lol! I have so much more control, she never gets away from me anymore. The thing I like best about it though is that although, yes, it can be very severe, you don't need it all the time. I usually have her on a loose-ish rein, because I now have total confidence that if I suddenly needed to stop her, I could.

I would try bitless with your boy but practice first in a safe area, like an arena or something, because my sister's pony didn't like it the first time he felt the pressure. He is now totally happy and works very happy in the hackamore.

Good luck :)

9tails

Visit site
I think that its great u are listening to your pony. I think hes telling you that the bit bothers him so good for realising it. If i had my way, no horse would have to wear a bit. Not enough people realise how the bit negatively effects the horse and the way of going because the mouth is no place for a piece of metal. No matter how light your hands are.

Evangelism rarely helps to get the point across.

Chavhorse

Visit site
I am currently investigating leather bits but seem to have drawn a blank in this country and the only commercially made ones seem to be in NZ.
My horse has a bone spur in his lower jaw awaiting removal and currently working in a bitless bridle, however as I intend to do BE with him bitting for dressage is a necessity, however BE permit leather bits. The only ones I have seen over here are ones which have been made to the owners specifications.

Doncella you can buy then from Emiel Voest in the Netherlands web site is below Pm me if you need any help with the Dutch or just call them they speak perfect english and are very helpful.

http://www.emielvoest.nl/hst/e08m02...le artikelen&assortiment2=Freestyle artikelen

Jennyharvey

Visit site
The leather bit seems like an interesting concept. The only thing that would worry me is the chemicals used in tanning the bit. Would these leak out of the bit into the horse's mouth?

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
Thanks for that link Chavhorse, I am very interested in this leather bit as my horse too is not keen on metal (or bits in general really!). Have you tried your boy in it? I saw on another thread that he is funny in his mouth, how did you find he reacted? What's it like to ride in?

intouch

Visit site
Evangelism rarely helps to get the point across.

The word evangelist comes from the Koine Greek word εὐαγγέλιον (transliterated as "euangelion") via Latinised "Evangelium", as used in the canonical titles of the four Gospels, authored by Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John (also known as the Four Evangelists). The Greek word εὐαγγέλιον originally meant a reward for good news given to the messenger (εὔ = "good", ἀγγέλλω = "I bring a message"; the word angel is of the same root) and later "good news".