bits for a strong horse?

riding_high

Visit site
my horse is ridden in a full cheek snaffle at the moment however he's getting very strong when out in fields, we only do short canters because i know i need a decent length of field to pull him up in.
my shoulders are already buggered so this constant strain on them isn't helping and also i want to be able to know i can stop him when we do canter.

i've also ridden him in a copper roller snaffle and it made no difference to his pulling. i don't want to 'fight' with him. he's not a bad horse but is just letting me know he's ready and willing to go for a blast but because of problems with his legs i can't let him just go for it so it has to be a controlled canter. i can walk him anywhere with no problems, i can trot anywhere but fields and no problems but in the fields he wants to push him and cantering is a problem in a field.

so any ideas for which bit to try please?

skydancer

Visit site
Hi,
If you definitely wanna go on the stronger bit route try a pelham ( my girl is very strong and wants to canter/gallop as soon as she hits the grass). The pelham is the only bit i can hold her in. Another to try is the waterford gag - this would be the bit for you if he is strong and leans on the bit. Shoot me down alot of people will say both are very harsh bits but imo better to have a strong bit with soft hands than a soft bit with heavy hands. At the end of the day you have to ride the horse so you need to do what you feel is right. Obviously schooling is another route to go down but my horse is ex hunter and she hates being schooled altho i school her at least twice a week :) Hope this is of some help:)

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I would get a rubber Pelham without any qualms - I struggled to hold my horse for years and tried one on a recommendation from a friend & have never looked back :D

riding_high

Visit site
yep my horse hunted for a number of years and it was his sole purpose, i can't school him because of numerous problems with his legs, been told that it would put too much strain on his legs and joints and would finish him off! he's an older boy at 18yrs old as well but because he's been either on box rest, field rest or retired and is now doing so well he's got it into his head he needs to prove he is still young, fit and healthy! lol

i've always had to give him alot of space to stop as i tell him then it goes to his brain, down to each of his feet and then back up to his brain for it to sink in! but it's just literally getting him to come back to me from a canter without hauling on his mouth. which is why i was looking for bit suggestions.

i've got a kimblewick in his size but the pelham is half an inch too small so will see if i can get hold of one if the kimblewick doesn't work. i just want to be able to touch the reins and he knows i want to stop.

this horse used to canter through fields with me (and on the beach) and i could let go of the reins and he would keep the same speed/pace, he would only go faster if i told him he could. now i'm pulling on the reins the whole time. i don't like it.

thanks for the suggestions. bacardi and coke to each of you! :D

JEZA

Visit site
I ride my very strong cob mare in a swales, although I do alternate her bits too.

I might try the waterford gag for my next change!