Bits for jumping? Suggestions please!

rcm_73

Visit site
Now I know I've been down this road before but am finding Millie a bit too strong in her loose ring (JP) snaffle and flash, she tends to rush her fences anyway and I struggle to hold her at the best of times over fences. Today I tried her in the Kimblewick which she schools better in than the snaffle but the jumping was a disaster, she jumped flat, crashed through everything and napped like mad (very out of character). Now I know she has a soft mouth and I hack her no probs in a snaffle so probably she was afraid of jumping in the Kimblewick (this is how it felt to me) and she's had a fair few heavy handed riders in the past so I'm looking for something inbetween, I thought maybe a Loose Ring Waterford? Someone suggested Dutch Gag but she already has a high head carraige and wouldn't any sort of gag raise her head even more??

Springbok

Visit site
I have a couple of suggestions ...

Firstly, schooling in a kimblewick is not really ideal - is there a way you can change your bit between jumping and schooling? If the horse is strong over fences but not so much so on the flat, using a strong bit for the flat will only make the horses mouth harder in the end
wink.gif
. If the horse is strong schooling, perhaps aim to keep the snaffle type bit but a variation eg. a french link snaffle.

For jumping, have you considered changing the noseband? I have found I have great control using a grackle (crossed - american style) noseband as it prevents the horse crossing it's jaw and averting the contact.

If you're determined you need a change of bit then yes a waterford is certainly going to give you more control. The dutch gag works on the poll therefore is more likely to lower, not raise the head and it will also give you more control. It's a useful it in that you can change the rings the reins go on depending on how strong the horse is ie. if the horse isn't strong you can put the reins on the snaffle rings. You can also have rounders for the top and bottom rings to give you a bit more control.

Other bits to consider include:
copper roller
Dr Bristol
pelham - rubber, mullen mouth or port mouth
conrad universal
american gag (very strong bit with long shanks - would be a last resort!!)
Mikmar
Running gag/polo gag
W bit

Sometimes it's good to borrow a pile of possible bits and have a fiddle with them over fences so you find the one which suits you and your horse the best.

I will stress however, a stronger bit isn't substitute for good training
wink.gif
. Having said that, some horses are more suited to a stronger bit. Best of luck finding one!!

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I thought maybe a Loose Ring Waterford?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with your thoughts, give it a go I think you'll see a difference.
wink.gif

hellybelly6

Visit site
A dutch gag raises the head as the bit is lifted upwards in the mouth.

I would recommend a Dr Bristol or Pelham. It might also be a good idea to school her and lunge/loose school her over grid work to get her thinking more and reacting less and to build up her confidence.

beanie_boo

Visit site
i would suggest a tom thumb bit!!they encourage the horse to accept the bit as it is sweet iron and has copper rings in the middle which they seem to like.i find it really easy to hold mine together in one over big tracks!