Bits

PaddyCampbell15

Visit site
Hi guys . I have a horse that is inconsistent in the contact . He has a nice mouth but a bit ignorant if that makes sence . I’m thinking of trying the bomber buster roller and wondering if anyone had anyone used one of these and what do they think of them . Thank you in advance and I had dentist , physio , back man , saddle fitters etc etc before anyone asks .

Red39

New User
Visit site
It’s almost impossible to comment on a bit in general, horses are so individual so what works for one might not work for yours. Have you looked at his mouth confirmation at all?

PaddyCampbell15

Visit site
It’s almost impossible to comment on a bit in general, horses are so individual so what works for one might not work for yours. Have you looked at his mouth confirmation at all?
Yep I have and it’s a normal mouth ,no fleshy younger or lips . He is just a fussy type and I have been trying all types of bits . He goes well for a week & then goes wooden , I have found if I stick a sharpish type bit in for a few days then he comes back nice and soft in the mouth . I don’t know if I worded that correctly but that basically is where I am with him .

Kaylum

Visit site
Have to had a look in his mouth to make sure it's not clanging on his teeth. What's your bridle set up like? Is it too big too small?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Honestly save your time and money and get a bit expert out. You will be able to try loads and you will get a very strong answer from the horse when you try them.

Tbh inconsistency in contact is mostly rider/training.

PaddyCampbell15

Visit site
Honestly save your time and money and get a bit expert out. You will be able to try loads and you will get a very strong answer from the horse when you try them.

Tbh inconsistency in contact is mostly rider/training.
Horse is schooled & trained perfectly so that’s not the issue thank god . It’s definitely a bitting issue hence why I’m asking advice on a bit & not a riding lesson . We average in the 70% in dressage and jumping to 1.20 showjumping so def rider/training issues . Some times horses can be sensitive and fussy with bits etc

Pinkvboots

Visit site
If your positive it's not a training issue mouth and bit problems can often indicate something wrong in the back, I know you have had physio but they can't detect alot of problems if it's continually happening might be worth speaking to your vet.

You don't say how old the horse is but if his not that young I wouldn't expect an older more established horse to be up and down in the contact for no reason.

PaddyCampbell15

Visit site
Every part of him has been xrayed even his jaws head , neck , back etc etc . I’m 100% sure it’s a bit problem . He is to clever & have to constantly keep changing bits with him . But it’s at the stage now I’m tired doing that and want something that he can be rode in the whole time . He has a lovely mouth but something to kind is not enough & something to sharp is to much so I’m sort of lost in the middle somewhere with him .

Abacus

Visit site
When you say he is inconsistent can you elaborate? Is he pulling forward/down or putting his head up. Does he ever throw his head right up, or is it more that the head is moving around rather than being still. Does he play wit the bit with his mouth and tongue, or is the mouth contact ok. Have you videoed it?

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Horse is schooled & trained perfectly so that’s not the issue thank god . It’s definitely a bitting issue hence why I’m asking advice on a bit & not a riding lesson . We average in the 70% in dressage and jumping to 1.20 showjumping so def rider/training issues . Some times horses can be sensitive and fussy with bits etc
rather than getting shirty look at what you wrote - 'I have a horse that is inconsistent in the contact . He has a nice mouth but a bit ignorant if that makes sence'
Tell me how that does not suggest training issue?!? You gave no further information and 95% are training issues.