Bitting advice please!

Trishh

Visit site
My horse goes lovely in her kk sprenger, however she is becoming too strong to showjump in this ... I've tried a waterford but she lifts her head up and becomes tense, backing off the jumps more rather than taking them on. Has anybody any ideas on something with just a little more stopping power? I had a dutch gag for my other mare but read these are a little out of favour now? Are there any of the more modern bits which might fit the bill? Many thanks everyone 😊

old hand

Visit site
If she goes well in the kk, they do a pelham version of it,very expensive but secondhand ones come up on e bay. If you can borrow one to try you will know if it is worth bidding on one. I have both and the horse does not like other sorts of stronger bit so this was a good compromise for both of us. I have an extensive bit box and nothing else was a good for him as the kk mouthpiece.

Enfys

Visit site
I had a dutch gag for my other mare but read these are a little out of favour now?

So what ?
Who are they out of favour with?
If a horse goes happily in a particular bit then, unless you have to adhere to certain rules for competition, it is the business of absolutely no-one but yourself and your horse :)

Have you tried your mare in the dutch gag yet?