Bitting advice please!

NellRosk

Visit site
Hello, been a while since I've been on HHO but I've dusted off my login because I need some bitting advice :) Horse in question is a 9yo ID who for the first time in her life is properly fit and she's discovered how big and strong she is! For schooling/ showing she's in her double which she goes nicely in however for jumping/ XC she is very very strong and leans with all her weight in the bridle and sits on my hands and just takes off. She is very hard to get inside flexion when going round corners in SJ and goes straight and wooden and has a tendancy to charge (we are working on this!).

I usually school her in a NS loose ring French link snaffle but put her in a hanging cheek French link (purely because I had one that fitted). I've had two instructors that have suggested 2 very different bits, 1 said to use a 2 ring gag (never seen one of these so googled and it's basically a giant Wilkie) but the other instructor said she does't want any kind of poll pressure with a gag as it will make her heavier in the bridle and lean even more on my hands. She suggested a magic snaffle (again never heard of this but apparently it's ported).

So does anyone have any suggestions please as I'm lost! The mare has a lovely sensitive mouth most of the time so I don't want anything harsh, just something with a bit more control for jumping. TIA!

Nari

Visit site
You say you school in a double, so are you happy with double reins? If so I'd try a pelham, that way you can use the curb just when you need it - or even try jumping her in her double. My experience of IDs is that the more you try to restrain them the harder they'll fight, hence why I'd go for something I can use only when I need it.

NellRosk

Visit site
You say you school in a double, so are you happy with double reins? If so I'd try a pelham, that way you can use the curb just when you need it - or even try jumping her in her double. My experience of IDs is that the more you try to restrain them the harder they'll fight, hence why I'd go for something I can use only when I need it.

I'm fine with double reins would just rather not jump with them! And I moved her out a Rugby Pelham into a double as she was just leaning on it too much. Yeah I can't put her in a flash as she fights it, I don't particularly want to restrain her too much just regain some control :)

wkiwi

Visit site
it's probably going to be a matter of trial and error, as all horses seem to be different, but as she is used to a french link you could try a dr. bristol.

NellRosk

Visit site

Notimetoride

Visit site
Get a bitting expert out to fully assess the horse and advise accordingly. You need to take into account the confirmation of the head and mouth, size of the tongue, if it has a low palate etc etc. once you get it right the difference will be amazing. I've just put mine into a Verbindend and I seem to have an entirely different (happy) horse.

spacefaer

Visit site
We have IDs so know how strong and heavy they can be! Have you checked her mouth conformation? Some horses can't cope with double jointed bits, if they have narrow bars, as each joint sits on the bar and pinches the lips for example. I have an RID mare who can't deal with any sort of joint, as she has a narrow mouth, low roof of her mouth and a thick tongue. She has a curved mouthpiece snaffle with no joint. She's very very strong and gobby in a jointed bit, light without a joint.

For improved steering, you could try a cheekpiece bit (pick an appropriate mouthpiece)
For leaning horses, you could go down one of two routes - either a Waterford mouthpiece (bit of a marmite bit - I have one horse that leans worse in it, but most go lighter!
Or a Kineton noseband - only comes into effect when she leans, but is neutral until she does, so you could stick to the bit that she likes

Fiona

Visit site
I agree with spacefaer.... A Waterford with cheeks might be a good bit to try.. It worked for our ID mare out hunting.

A Waterford mouthpiece of very difficult for a horse to pull against as it's so flexible.

Fiona

NellRosk

Visit site
Thanks for your replies everyone :) I spoke to the bitbank and have a universal NS trans to try so fingers crossed that works.. went XC last week and it was a struggle trying to stop.