Bitting Advice/Suggestions

Suzy

Visit site
I would be grateful for suggestions of different bits to try in my girl.

We are currently embarking on our first season eventing (just done our first PN). She is a fairly confident SJ but still green XC - and generally a pretty cautious mare!

I am having a bit of trouble both SJ and XC (mostly XC though) in as much as she is running through my hand (albeit slowly). It feels like she has grabbed the bit, and is particularly hard/blocked on the right rein. This makes her hard to turn. She stays fairly round whilst she does this. She does this until about 2-4 strides out, at which point I have to be careful she doesn't just drop off my leg.

XC the problem is worse because she is a little big backwards thinking and spooky anyway XC, so she can end up travelling sideways instead of forwards in the direction I want to go in - this was much more noticeable PN as obviously more accuracy of steering is required.

She is currently in a french link with cheeks. I wondered if she would be better with something she can't grab hold of, so I tried a copper roller, but she really didn't like that - perhaps too much nut cracker action? She really isn't strong, so I don't want anything too strong in her or she'll just really back off it.

Anyway, sorry for such an essay. I hope this makes some sense - any ideas/suggestions??

thanks

ihatework

Visit site
Mmmm .. I'll get my thinking cap on.
In the meantime might it be worth trying current bit but using keepers (i think that is what they are called!) as it will alter the angle of the bit in her mouth slightly.

vic07

Visit site
if she grabs hold of the bit could try a waterford. Or a sweet iron which has the rings in the centre with ridges. I use this on one of mine who can really take a hold, stops him gripping it.

Suzy

Visit site
Thanks for your suggestions. I had thought of the waterford, and think I'll give all of your suggestions a try - nothing ventured etc. The real pain is that I really need to try them out in the jumping paddock as she doesn't really do it in the school, but with the ground being so hard I can hardly nip out there for a quick bit trial every other day :-(

vic07

Visit site
does she do it during fitness work? Can you try it out galloping, on the beach or on downs as the ground is good there! At least we have had some rain!

Scoopy

Visit site
I had a problem with poll pressure XC, we just had fight after fight after fight, we have a 2 ring happy mouth gag, he is fine in it SJ, after i posted about the fights i was having waterford came tops to try, have had waterford a week now, and i have not looked back, he is totally a different horse to sit on now
laugh.gif
going jump cross sat so hopefully willl find out 100 %, but i have been well impressed so far
tongue.gif

Suzy

Visit site
Thanks for the encouragement - here's hoping!!

Vic07 - she doesn't do it during fast work. She really just wants to be a show jumper so can't see the point of charging about for the sake of it, unless there's a jump in front of you. So, if I canter her alone, I can barely get her into canter, let alone have to worry about her buggering off with me! If I go out with someone else to gee her up, she leaps about and then sets off in a lovely xc stride and goes just how I wish she would xc - perhaps pairs is the answer! Do they allow it BE?! She wouldn't need a lead, just a cantering companion! Mind you, she did it (only 50,000 times worse) the one and only time I took her hunting. However, I'd rather struggle on as we are now than repeat that experience in a hurry!

rosedewar

Visit site
I use a waterford dutch gag on my boy when jumping or hacking (ex-racehorse, he used to p#ss off with me). They call it the "eventer's bit". You can use it on top, middle or bottom rings for more or less brakes (leverage and poll action).

With your horse being a bit more backward thinking, I'd suggest a loose-ring waterford - nothing for her to get hold of but not too strong and no poll pressure so she shouldn't object. If that isn't strong enough you can move up to the dutch gag version and play about with which ring you use.
HTH.

Suzy

Visit site
Thanks, that will definitely be the next one I try. She definitely doesn't need anything strong, so hopefully the loose ring will do the job.