Bitting advice

qwerty123

Visit site
I've been riding my new mare in a loose ring snaffle, but I'm finding that when she doesn't want to do something she is taking hold of the bit and running away from me or really tensing and going very wooden (she is very tense anyway and takes a while to relax).
Also, she can do the same hacking- as I found out when she took hold of the bit and galloped down a road (something spooked her).

She is very green so I don't want to put anything necessarily stronger in her mouth, I would prefer something that is BD legal for schooling in, is there any suggestions of what could suit her better?

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Firstly, have you checked her teeth/ back/ saddle first, just to make sure she's not being awkward because she's in pain? As you say she's very green, I'd recommend lots of schooling to get her more responsive, as opposed "sticking a piece of metal in her mouth", so to speak - finding a good instructor to help you both would be ideal. Just out of interest, how old is she? If she's still green and young, she may well still be a bit unbalanced, and using you/ the bit as support. What mouthpiece has her current bit got?

Sorry for all the questions! :)

qwerty123

Visit site
Sorry I should have mentioned that she has just had the full works with back/teeth/saddle etc.
I ride her in a loose ring snaffle at the moment, I definitely don't want to jump to a harsher bit, but just wondered if there was anything that could help encourage her not to take hold (alongside schooling and progressing with her).
She's 6 this year, and is definitely unbalanced still so I think this does impact on what she is doing, however I do believe that is not the sole reason and she is a bit 'work shy' too!

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Sorry I should have mentioned that she has just had the full works with back/teeth/saddle etc.
I ride her in a loose ring snaffle at the moment, I definitely don't want to jump to a harsher bit, but just wondered if there was anything that could help encourage her not to take hold (alongside schooling and progressing with her).
She's 6 this year, and is definitely unbalanced still so I think this does impact on what she is doing, however I do believe that is not the sole reason and she is a bit 'work shy' too!

Ah OK. You could try a loose ring with a copper roller mouthpiece, as this will discourage her from leaning or taking hold of the bit.