Bitting advice

Upthecreek

Visit site
I’m sure I’m not alone in being utterly confused and a little overwhelmed with the choice of bits on the market these days. There are so many different mouthpieces and cheek pieces that I don’t really know where to go from here. I have tried bits that on paper should be perfect for my boy, but back to the bit hire place they go at the end of the trial..............

The main issue is that he is extremely strong and I have yet to find a bit that he will ‘listen to’, particularly when doing faster work and jumping, though he can sometimes be strong just doing basic schooling. I just feel like I have no control sometimes. He has a big fleshy mouth and dislikes tongue pressure. He has recently had dentist and new fitted saddle.

I’ve tried happy tongues, various lozenge links and barrel links. Loose ring, universal and gag. Also tried flash and grackle nosebands instead of cavesson. Not tried a Pelham, but wondering if that could be the next thing to try.

I just want him to co-operate with me without making him uncomfortable in the mouth but at the moment he is well and truly taking advantage. Any ideas gratefully received.

Follysmum

Visit site
I have a horse very similar at competitions, at home he’s ridden in a neue shule snaffle but at competitions he gets so wound and excited no amount of schooling has helped , at times we have been out of control and it’s scary. I have tried about every bit including a Waterford which he hated and even bitless which he hated more.
The best bit I have found that works is a neue shule Pelham with 2 reins, it makes such a difference and makes it so much easier in fast work

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I put my old boy in a rubber Pelham and it transformed our jumping and hacking, definitely try it! I don't know why people are so reluctant to use a Pelham, the bit is only as harsh as the hands at the other end, my boy had a lovely soft mouth because I didn't need to haul him around when he was wearing the Pelham.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
You mentioned grackle and flash, but have you tried a drop or even a Kineton noseband?
I'm happy to recco a bitting expert (who actually is expert in bits, and she rides too) but it depends on where you are in the country

Upthecreek

Visit site
I have a horse very similar at competitions, at home he’s ridden in a neue shule snaffle but at competitions he gets so wound and excited no amount of schooling has helped , at times we have been out of control and it’s scary. I have tried about every bit including a Waterford which he hated and even bitless which he hated more.
The best bit I have found that works is a neue shule Pelham with 2 reins, it makes such a difference and makes it so much easier in fast work
Thanks for replying. Which mouthpiece does the Neue Schule bit have?

Upthecreek

Visit site
I put my old boy in a rubber Pelham and it transformed our jumping and hacking, definitely try it! I don't know why people are so reluctant to use a Pelham, the bit is only as harsh as the hands at the other end, my boy had a lovely soft mouth because I didn't need to haul him around when he was wearing the Pelham.
Agree. There is no point being smug about doing everything in a snaffle if you have to pull like crazy for brakes!

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Have you considered a PeeWee bit? It's a very slim mullen-mouthed sweet iron bit and has worked well on several horses - mine and friends'. One person that I lent it to used it to teach her eventer to listen to her xc. It enhanced brakes and steering.

Upthecreek

Visit site
You mentioned grackle and flash, but have you tried a drop or even a Kineton noseband?
I'm happy to recco a bitting expert (who actually is expert in bits, and she rides too) but it depends on where you are in the country
No haven’t tried those nosebands, so I will do some research. I’ve been down the bitting expert route and she was amazingly knowledgeable and helpful, but what she suggested has not worked out. I know they will all have their different opinions so not ruling out trying again, but she convinced me that he was being strong because he dislikes pressure on his tongue and face, so I should be using no noseband or a cavesson and a really mild loose ring snaffle. She was right, he loves this arrangement but I have zero control! We are in the South West.

Upthecreek

Visit site
Have you considered a PeeWee bit? It's a very slim mullen-mouthed sweet iron bit and has worked well on several horses - mine and friends'. One person that I lent it to used it to teach her eventer to listen to her xc. It enhanced brakes and steering.
I did have a look at this one, but it looked a bit tricky to get it set up correctly, which put me off. Sure I could find a ‘how to’ video on you tube though! Thanks for the suggestion.

peanut

Visit site
My horse is similar yours Upthecreek so I'm following this thread with interest. Mine likes a Myler ported mouthpiece so looking at the Kimblewick it might work well for her.

I've always been a bit wary of curb chains as I'm unfamiliar with fitting them and worry about getting them wrong. Can someone advise please?