Bitting gurus wanted please

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Hi just wondering what people would suggest for this horse.
The horse schools nicely enough at home in a KK single joint, but out hacking with others when the pace quickens, half halts result in a fight and aids are ignored! The horse is currently in a flash noseband and universal lozenge bit for hacking and the behaviour is the same in the KK single joint. There is always a bit of snatching at the start of a schooling session but it goes away and self carriage is fabulous! So overall I think the bit and noseband combinatoin causes anger and tantrums, resulting in the head going down and any aids getting ignored/braced against when a pull is taken, which is not ideal! As long as the contact is light, everything is fine and there is no rushing off or badness, just an aversion to being checked in the mouth (no matter how light when cantering). Slowing down is fine when slower as walk-halt requires a lighter aid, because the head is not already down and fighting. I had a horse that was similar and cheltenham gag helped, but if anyone could recommend something else then I'll gladly take ideas :) TIA

sportsmansB

Visit site
I had a head down and brace the neck one, and a cheltenham gag did fix it - she was sensitive to a mouthpiece so I used the same exact one as in her normal schooling snaffle (a N/S double jointed one, she only tolerated expensive bits...!).
She hated a universal, it made no difference at all just seemed to make her angry..
I had to use a grackle with it for a while and then was able to go back to normal cavesson. Eventually it did its job and I didn't need it at all, but that took a year or so!

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Thanks, yours sounds exactly the same as this one then! once they get angry, it becomes a battle . I tried a waterford snaffle and grackle as the horse appears to hate poll pressure, and it was certainly the wrong action with the head going down anyway. It helped and the horse was much happier, but I think I'll give the cheltenham gag a go just to see if there are any major improvements or not! Strange how the universal made yours angry too though, I tested the action of the bridle on my arm and was surprised at just how much leverage it had.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I would try a Kineton noseband with that sort of horse - takes the pressure off the bars and transfers it to the nose. It's considered old fashioned (or has perhaps been forgotten?), but I'd rather use one if there is any pulling that has to be resorted to.

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
I would try a Kineton noseband with that sort of horse - takes the pressure off the bars and transfers it to the nose. It's considered old fashioned (or has perhaps been forgotten?), but I'd rather use one if there is any pulling that has to be resorted to.

I have a kineton hanging in the tack room! I had thought of using some nose pressure to alleviate any fighting in the mouth, but thought maybe that would encourage the running with the head low, certainly worth a try as some respond totally different to how you'd expect . Thanks

Trules

Visit site
Hi there. I have an elevator bit in my big mare. It has a nice lozenge mouthpiece. It keeps her head up a treat. We hunted in it yesterday with d ring attachments and i kept hold of her no probs. She is really happy in it. Worth a try in my opinion. Xx

Hoof_Prints

Visit site
Hi there. I have an elevator bit in my big mare. It has a nice lozenge mouthpiece. It keeps her head up a treat. We hunted in it yesterday with d ring attachments and i kept hold of her no probs. She is really happy in it. Worth a try in my opinion. Xx

Thanks, didn't think of an elevator! Would probably avoid the lozenge as any lozenge seems to produce a fight, but a different mouthpiece on it may work.