Bitting Help Please

Potato!

Visit site
I have a 5yo IDXTB gelding. I normally ride him in a French link Fulmer snaffle however I took him on a hunt schooling day yesterday and whilst he was very well behaved generally (lots of excited bucks and leaps etc) he did start getting quite strong when galloping.

He is in just a plain cavesson. He wasnt crossing his jaw but he would but his head down take hold of the bit and and just get stronger and stronger. He is a powerful horse to be fair to him his power was coming from behind but I want something that will help give me brakes without having to haul him in the mouth to get him to slow down. He was actually responding to my voice a lot and did slow down when I asked but I did feel that there may be a chance that he won’t listen and I need something extra.

Can anybody recommend a bit that I could use when I take him hunting and fun rides etc when I need a little extra but is still gentle for a 5yo mouth.

hunteress

Visit site
My lightweight cob at 5 was very strong so I put him in a waterford then I wen't back to his universal nue shule it worked a treat even now at 13 if at the start of the season he gets strong he go's back in the waterford just to say really HEY !! we hack in a snaffle ! but you must go up 1/2 an inch as they work round the corners of the mouth otherwise they don't have the desired affrect. I also used a tom thumb which i used with pelham roundings .

gunnergundog

Visit site
I have a 5yo IDXTB gelding. I normally ride him in a French link Fulmer snaffle however I took him on a hunt schooling day yesterday and whilst he was very well behaved generally (lots of excited bucks and leaps etc) he did start getting quite strong when galloping.

He is in just a plain cavesson. He wasnt crossing his jaw but he would but his head down take hold of the bit and and just get stronger and stronger. QUOTE]

I would try a Nelson gag with a french link mouthpiece and cheeks with two reins.

It keeps him in a familiar mouthpiece but allows you the leverage to encourage him to lift when he ploughs down, which is what you say the problem is.

If the getting hold of the bit continues, then you could move to a Nelson gag with a waterford mouthpiece.

Good luck!

katherine1975

Visit site
Were you at the EDH schooling day? I was there. I ride my horse in a neue Schule verbindend but she was a bit strong, so thinking of trying their universal bit so I have the same mouthpiece but more ooomph if I need it.

Visit site
Waterford Snaffle - you can get them with the fuller cheeks if this is what you prefer. Fantastic bit - will stop him grabbing hold of it and will give you more control. I have had good experiences with it in different types of horses and all responded well to it. :)

Potato!

Visit site
Oh yes i think i was standing next to you at the beginning on the road. I was wearing my bp under my jacket but got so hot i wished id left my jacket behind.

SophieAlice

Visit site

He is in just a plain cavesson. He wasnt crossing his jaw but he would but his head down take hold of the bit and and just get stronger and stronger. He is a powerful horse to be fair to him his power was coming from behind but I want something that will help give me brakes without having to haul him in the mouth to get him to slow down. He was actually responding to my voice a lot and did slow down when I asked but I did feel that there may be a chance that he won’t listen and I need something extra.

Can anybody recommend a bit that I could use when I take him hunting and fun rides etc when I need a little extra but is still gentle for a 5yo mouth.

Sweet iron wounder gag! works wounders on mine!