bitting issues need brakes

tikino

Visit site
i bought the most wonderful and beautiful gelding by arko in june. have been working away quietly with him and originally came across a few problems. his teeth were in very poor condition and he has ulceration. got my wonderful dentist out who sorted this. this had a knock on effect with tightness in his muscles which again physio sorted the saddler checked saddle etc.

do he is a very strong powerful horse and i am struggling with the brakes. at the moment he is ridden in a vulcante pelham with grackle noseband and rounding. he is fine to hack etc in this bit but the minute i jump him he becomes really strong and at times i struggle to hold him. any suggestions on bits

Kiribati_uk

Visit site
I have a very uncouth overgrown cob, who I got as a bolter his mouth was ripped to shreds and he has confidence issues with any bit he just runs off regardless of whats in his mouth, this said cob is awesome to jump and I have worked out way of controlling in neue shule snaffle,(whispering sweet nothings in his ear etc), BUt by chance I tried him in a Double bridle..........changed cob soft in contact, doenst take me on, listens etc So I would say try a double......Goodluck

dianchi

Visit site
Perhaps a double or a Waterford mouth piece?
I know not everyone is a fan of Waterford but used correctly they are a v useful bit of kit!

I.M.N.

Visit site
I've got a horse who is unstoppable in front of a jump out hunting, we hit it at 100mph and take off on anything that resembles a stride. I've tried everything from a hackamore to a waterford cheltenham gag and he runs through the lot. This isn't a schooling issue, he's perfectly schooled and in every other scenario (even on the hunting field) you could ride him with a rope looped round his neck. The only thing I found that made a difference is a kineton noseband, he's still strong, but he's controllable.

christine48

Visit site
We have a mare who is incredibly strong. She used to run through the bridle, snatch at the reins, bear down etc. it meant she got loads of time penalties XC because of having to set her up. We tried Dutch gags, Cheltenham gags, Pelhams etc.
We had a breakthrough when we tried a combination noseband, it was a miracle!!

christine48

Visit site
Forgot to say it isn't a schooling issue because at home or even in the collecting ring she can be jumped in a snaffle and nothing else, it's only in the ring or out on course XC.