bitting issues need brakes

tikino

Visit site
i bought the most wonderful and beautiful gelding by arko in june. have been working away quietly with him and originally came across a few problems. his teeth were in very poor condition and he has ulceration. got my wonderful dentist out who sorted this. this had a knock on effect with tightness in his muscles which again physio sorted the saddler checked saddle etc.

do he is a very strong powerful horse and i am struggling with the brakes. at the moment he is ridden in a vulcante pelham with grackle noseband and rounding. he is fine to hack etc in this bit but the minute i jump him he becomes really strong and at times i struggle to hold him. any suggestions on bits

jenni999

Visit site
Try a Neue Schule Elevator, it's used by lots of showjumpers. If that fails, I use a Shires Tom Thumb sweet iron gag with copper rollers for hunting. It's only about £25 and I only have to use it on fast days when I know I will need control. Some people, I'm sure, will say it's a horrible bit but I find it makes the difference between control and out of control.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Don't just go out & buy a bit, phone Neue Schule & tell them about your horse & the issues you have. They will be able to give you knowledgeable advice as to what bit should help you. Their bits are considerably more expensive than most you find in tack shops hopefully with their advice you will only need to buy one bit. So many people try a number of bits before they find the one that does the job & end up with a bucket of almost new bits that they've wasted their money on. Neue Schule should eb able to help :)

Last edited:

elijahasgal

Visit site
The right bit will depend on him!!! It will depend on if he responds to poll pressure or fights it, same curb groove pressure. tongue or lip pressure.
It will depend his mouth confirmation.....big tongue small mouth always going to be the most problematic.
I always love waterfords, mild, but they dont like leaning on them. He may love or hate, or ignore.
Vulcanite mouthpieces are relativly mild being quite thick and without a joint.
But schooling wise I would do a lot of grids, on a slightly shorter stride to try and get him shorter, not bombing into things.

tikino

Visit site
thanks guys when we get it right he will be a star but at the moment wee need to get the bitting right i did try a kk universal as my other horse has this it just wasnt right for him willing to spend money on the right bit but as wee have said not ending up with all sorts of bits

JillA

Visit site
Bits aren't brakes!! The brakes are in his training and in his head - and in your seat. Just find a bit he s comfortable with and in the words of one classical trainer train him to "give you his mouth" - i.e. flex and relax his jaw.

tikino

Visit site
Jilla i understand what your saying but he his a big powerful horse and he just gets stronger and i need to find a bit suitable for him. he is very well schooled and will happily flex etc he is also quite strong in canter its just get the balance correct with his tack and it is a very new partnership

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I always think it is odd that while there are lots of saddle fitters to advise on suitability/fit etc, there are none for bits. Yet they are just as important.

If you only have one horse, it's hard trying to work out what's a small/large tongue for eg is quite hard, and there are lots of misconceptions about what certain bits do and how their action works.

I do think there's a gap in the market,they probably don't exist cos bits don't cost as much as saddles I guess.