bitting. issues

jane colbourn

New User
Visit site
I've a 6 yr Ish gelding, had for 6 weeks. Had teeth, saddle and back done. He had to have his gums slit by the vet to release his tushes as they were trying to come through but couldnt on their own. He is a sensitive chap and shakes his head up and down after 10 mins of exercise, he always ends up cutting the sides of his mouth and is not happy in any bits we have tried. He has been ridden in a myler comfort snaffle, happy mouth lozenge loose ring, loose ring snaffle, sweet iron lozenge loose ring, eggbutt and straight bar rubber loose ring. They all cut him and make him toss his head. He's not strong and has been ridden lately in a hackamore. Which he likes. But occasionally head shakes. This is ok but I cannot compete or hunt him in a hackamore, under riding club rules. Hackamores are not allowed. Help please!!!

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I hate it that there is so much prejudice against hackamores when it comes to competing. It is far nicer for a horse to work bitless than with a great chunk of metal in the mouth. I bitted my youngster a couple of weeks ago but hated having to do it really. But if I am to compete her or even show her in hand, she needs to be bitted. It also means they have to have wolf teeth removed etc. Again something that I was loath to do, but did it anyway due to possible future problems with the bit. Anyway, all this doesn't help you with your problem.

I would advise that you invest in a micklem bridle. This will help you to acclimatise your horse to the bit without being solely reliant on it. You can ride with two reins; one attached to the bit and the other to the D rings on the bridle. This will ease pressure on the mouth. Once he is going better with the two reins, remove the bitless rein and use the bit clips. These clips apply pressure to the nose and therefore ease pressure on the mouth when the reins are used more strongly. I believe these are legal for all disciplines apart from dressage. If you compete dressage you will have to remove the clips.

jane colbourn

New User
Visit site
Thanks for your reply wagtail, I've bought a micklem yesterday with an eggbutt french link, rode him last nite, no head shaking and no sore mouth. I used the clips on the bit. He was a complete diff horse. I've invested in the multi bridle so I can still go bitless. So a big thanks x:)

Pale Rider

Visit site
You could put the horse first and not put him in a situation where he has to have a bit. You could get a less sensitive horse and pass him on to an owner who will accommodate his needs.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Thanks for your reply wagtail, I've bought a micklem yesterday with an eggbutt french link, rode him last nite, no head shaking and no sore mouth. I used the clips on the bit. He was a complete diff horse. I've invested in the multi bridle so I can still go bitless. So a big thanks x:)

That's really fantastic! So pleased you appear to have solved his problems.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
You could put the horse first and not put him in a situation where he has to have a bit. You could get a less sensitive horse and pass him on to an owner who will accommodate his needs.

Have you read her last post, PR? It appears the horse is now comfortable in a Micklem bridle.