Bitting problems

hunter2345

New User
Visit site
Hi guys I'm having a bit of trouble finding a suitable bit for my cob. He has been tried in a loose ring Mullen snaffle, a French link eggbut, a 3 ring, a Pelham and is currently in a cheltnam gag which is the best we have tried but he still doesn't like it! He pulls like a train and always has his mouth open even when I have no contact at all. His back and teeth have recently been checked and he's all good. He's obviously not happy in a bit so I was thinking of trying him either bitless or giving a sweet iron with copper ribs a go. If anyone has any suggestions of bits to try I would greatly appreciate it!!

windand rain

Visit site
Are you sure the bit and bridle are properly fitted cobs have very short bars and your bit may simply not fit or the bridle may be too tight. It is worth checking its not hitting his back teeth and is accomodating his tongue properly

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Agree with W&R above, also many young cobs have not had the best of training and he may simply not understand the correct response to the bit pressure, or indeed for handling in general.

If he is on a halter will he step back and forwards, immediately, from a light touch?

hunter2345

New User
Visit site
Are you sure the bit and bridle are properly fitted cobs have very short bars and your bit may simply not fit or the bridle may be too tight. It is worth checking its not hitting his back teeth and is accomodating his tongue properly
Bit and bridle are both well fitted by a very experienced person. The vet also had a look and said he did have enough space as we have always gone with the skinnier bits

hunter2345

New User
Visit site
Agree with W&R above, also many young cobs have not had the best of training and he may simply not understand the correct response to the bit pressure, or indeed for handling in general.

If he is on a halter will he step back and forwards, immediately, from a light touch?
His groundwork is really good and he is responsive in a headcollar and never gets strong or silly. His first owner schooled him very well but he was mistreated in his second home so I'm thinking it might have something to do with that. Although I have had him almost 2 years now and he trusts me

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I had contact issues with my Arab when he was young and tried a lot of bits, I eventually tried a magic snaffle and he started to accept the contact properly and got real confidence from it, I now ride him in a hanging cheek sweet iron lozenge snaffle for everyday and he goes really well now in a Pelham which I use for showing, I think once you find something they are happy in you can often try other bits which previously didn't work, although trying to find something initially is not always easy.

windand rain

Visit site
In which case I would remove his noseband or use a mexican grackle if you need to have one to compete. this will help relieve the pressure on his facial nerves and over the poll

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
My mare ISH - has a small mouth with large tongue & is happiest in a ported bit - we use a Kimblewick for hacking jumping & fast work & have a ported Pelham too - she will tolerate a curved single jointed snaffle for schooling now but much prefers the port because it takes pressure off her tongue