Bitting Question

Juniper Jack

Visit site
I have recently started riding a retired TB field hunter. We are doing ring work, and some trail riding. In the ring, on the flat and a little (very little) low jumping, he is just fine in a snaffle. His current bit is a plain single-jointed ring snaffle.
Out on the trails, however, I think he needs a stronger bit. He can be quite strong cantering, wants to be at the head of the group.
I have no way to contact his former hunting owers to ask what they hunted him in.
The barn has a spare slow-twist snaffle I could try.
I am thinking more pelham or kimberwick/kimblewick or uxeter, but I don't know if he has ever worn a leverage bit and curb chain. I am also thinking 2- or 3-ring elevator bit.
This--
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=729477099
--because an eventing friend of mine and her horse did well in that when they did cross country.

So, what do you recommend? If a pelham type bit, are they effective without a curb chain?

Or is it just me, not the horse?

This is a good, willing, well-mannered 17yo hunter. When I first had his teeth floated the vet said they were in pretty bad shape; we are now getting that issue resolved.

Tnavas

Visit site
Definately try the pelham and don't worry about the curb chain, just make sure that you don't have it too tight. The correct place for the chain is through the ring, this keeps the hooks out of the side of the face and prevents the libs being pinched between the chain & the mouthpiece. It also keeps the chain down in the chin groove.
Pelhamchainthroughring.jpg

kez1001

Visit site
what do you mean when you say he gets strong?

head up and pull? head down and pull? cross jaw and pull?

do you use a martingale? also what type of noseband?