Bitting question

MoodyMare101

Visit site
Ok so I was planning on taking my mare hunting, but was planning to start with cubbing in September this year (which would give me time to get to know her better as haven't had her long) but I am tempted to take her towards then end of this season.

Here's the dilemma: she is currently in a happy mouth straightbar fulmer snaffle and I have control and breaks 95% of the time. The only time I don't have breaks is when we are in a group and all doing fast canter/mad out of control totally unplanned gallop haha ;) I know she will stop when the others stop and stopping isn't really what worries me. What worries me is her ability to stay upright as she can be slippy/trippy at times. I have visions of her going quick over rutted/slippy ground and falling on her face or her trying to catch up to the field (after a jump for example) and just wiping out or slamming the breaks on and me going over her head when she reaches the them.

Can anyone advise a bit that will help have just a wee bit more control (it will only be used when hunting not only!!!).
Heres the catch: She is fussy with her mouth. she is not overly keen on anything with a joint (she might tolerate some, however I have only tried her in a French link snaffle once and she wasn't too keen, but it didn't have happy mouth on it so maybe that's why she didn't like it). and I don't want anything mega strong (eg gag) because she doesn't need it!!

Props to you if you made it this far!

TIA

catroo

Visit site
September is so long away, I really wouldn't be worrying about it at the moment, especially if your just getting to know each other.

If she is working well with what your doing now then carry on with the current bit. As you start doing more fast work you can reassess

MoodyMare101

Visit site
I am planning on taking her towards the end of this season now so I need to get a bit sorted now. Also even if I didn't take her until September, I will probably still need to change her bit so need to start looking now so that I cant find something she is comfortable with and used to!

catroo

Visit site
Ok, when you have no breaks how is she evading you? Head up, head down, mouth open, setting her neck?

A noseband change might be enough, or something like a kimblewick which is still straight bar and I think you can get them as a happy mouth.

MoodyMare101

Visit site
Ok, when you have no breaks how is she evading you? Head up, head down, mouth open, setting her neck?

A noseband change might be enough, or something like a kimblewick which is still straight bar and I think you can get them as a happy mouth.

Generally leaning on the bit and sometimes pulling down! Don't really want to change her noseband/add a flash as she is sensitive to pressure on her face and I think that will make her worse! Didn't think of a kimblewick, that's quite a good idea thanks!! Will look into it!!

Shay

Visit site
The end of the season can be quite full on. The horses will have been hunting for 4 or 5 months by then (depending on location) and will be fully fit and ready to run. It would be worth talking to the secretaries and see if you can find something in the meet card fairly low key - the last thing you need is to frighten either of you!

But other than that - what about just switching to a pelham?

ohmissbrittany

Visit site
A kineton noseband is a good way to stop pulling- ideally you use it with a mullen mouth snaffle and a loosely fitting (or no) noseband. The metal rings transfer pressure to the nose, so it's good for fussy mouthed horses as it actually relieves pressure on the tongue/bars.

spacefaer

Visit site
What Shay said ..... horses that have been hunting all season will be very very fit and you may struggle to keep up.

If you really want to take her at the end of this season, what about a straight bar happy mouth Pelham with two reins, so very similar mouthpiece to what she has now, but with the extra rein should you need more brakes?

I suggest you practice with it first !!

ETA justice thought I'd add - as someone who hunts twice a week - I don't gallop over rutted ground or run the risk of my horse landing flat on his face! Even if hounds are running and I run the risk of getting left behind, I'll check and be careful. Hunting people seem to have an unwarranted reputation for riding recklessly and carelessly of their horse's welfare - nothing could be further from the truth!

Last edited: