Bitting strong yet sensitive pony?

OliveBuffy1129

Visit site
Hi

I have a pony who currently is keeping the bit bank in business alone by her ways She is essentially quite high maintenance when searching for a bit.. She suffers from a split mouth, is reasonable strong more in the aspect of just locking on the bit a little and kind of setting her head. The problem is she becomes very cautious in a stronger bit, she actually went fairly well in a waterford but because of the split mouth it didn't really work. The final problem is she has to have a 4.75" (120mm) bit, alot of the bits I look at like Nathe elevators are only 5" +..

When I bought her she was ridden in a full cheek snaffle with just a cavesson but I have little idea how they managed her in it as when I competed in it we took 3 laps to stop afterwards. Maybe because I was fairly little I just couldn't hold her so would it be worth trying that?

I am not looking for the responses of ask your coach or she needs to be better schooled so have lessons.. We try to have regular lessons but when she is very strong she splits her mouth so we then have to wait for it to heal before going back etc.

So does anyone have any suggestions of either pony bits or just bits in 4.75" that may suit the strong but sensitive 14hh typical mare? Completely at a loose end and very frustrating mid season to be having a bitting problem.

LCH611

Visit site
How about trying a myler combination? Or a wilkie snaffle that will give you a little poll leverage they come in pony sizes? Split mouths are best treated with pile cream......

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Horse-Bit...t=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item2ee303d58e

There's a 4 3/4 kimblewick here if that size is correct with a non jointed bit. I had great success using one on a very strong Fell x who really leant on his snaffle, but was light and responsive in the kimblewick. Another option is to tea a bit that you know she likes with a kineton noseband. Both of these ideas aren't dressage legal, but if they work then it would be fine for day to day riding.

measles

Visit site
We had a very similar issue with A's 14.2 jumping pony in that she was very strong but had a sensitive mouth. Equiport made me a nathe mouthpiece American gag with sides short enough to be pony club legal as well which worked well as did an eggbut slot sided myler with a curved mouthpiece and three little rollers. Both were mild mouthpieces which worked best despite her being very strong. Best of luck finding something that works for her, and correct schooling also plays a big part too.

Shay

Visit site
Not only will you keep the bit bank in business - the same will happen on this forum too! I really like NS Elevators for strong SJ ponies - you can get a variety of mouthpieces. But Measles solution is well worth a try as the bits are softer. The splitting of her mouth is coming from you pulling too hard I'm afraid - I absolutely accept because you can't get breaks - that will ease when you have a better bitting solution. My daughter teaches all hers to stop at her whistle which has been a great solution for those which were a bit strong. (She hunts and events now - SJ as a junior) A longer term solution - but might be worth a try. Every time you ask for halt make a unique sound which works for you. She'll get the idea eventually that the sound means stop. If you event or do pure dressage opt for a sound you can make at the back of your throat with your mouth closed - we use an upward purr sound for "more / faster" and a downward sighing sound for "less / slower".