Bitting sugestions please

doodle

Visit site
Robin can be rather strong. He does it in a rounded way rather than head up or down. He is a big horse with big paces rather than bring naughty. He was in a nueue schule universal which used to work. However now it seems snaffle ring he is still strong and bottom ring he finds too strong and throws his head up. Currently have put him back in waterford which he jumped well in today. No head flinging. Sj instructor suggested a proper gag but i am thinking he will just find it too much. Any ideas. He is stong but easily stopable rather than bolting off. Schools in a snaffle but for jumping xc and hacking at speed needs something else.

doodle

Visit site
To add he is a 16.2 mw wb and is 12. Teeth checked 3 months ago althpugh beibg strong is not new. Ridden in a simple cavesson. He really dislikes a flash so presume also a drop and grackle.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
do you use it with a curb strap? (the universal that is)
is there a reason you wouldn't want to stick with the waterford?

doodle

Visit site
No i didnt. Tbh didnt know you could. Just wondering if there could be anything more suitable. Rider just taking him out for a faster hack so will see when she reports back.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Universal with 2 reins and a curb strap - NS sell them specially! The Universal is intended to be used with 2 reins, you can ride on the snaffle until the horse needs the curb rein, when it can come into lau briefly and you can go back to the snaffle rein.

ester

Visit site
definitely try with the curb strap, I always use one on my 3 ring gag (well it's just a spare flash) but find it much better with than without as it limits the rotation.

gunnergundog

Visit site
[QUOTE="Kamikaze, post: 14011607, member: 48601" Sj instructor suggested a proper gag but i am thinking he will just find it too much. .[/QUOTE]

Maybe try a Nelson gag as opposed to the Cheltenham gag, which most people think of as the 'traditional/proper' gag.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Defo try the curb strap on the universal with two reins .
But no problem with awaterford if that works .
Some horses are best swopped about so they never get used to a set of breaks .

doodle

Visit site
definitely try with the curb strap, I always use one on my 3 ring gag (well it's just a spare flash) but find it much better with than without as it limits the rotation.

So just attached to the bottom ring?

Defo try the curb strap on the universal with two reins .
But no problem with awaterford if that works .
Some horses are best swopped about so they never get used to a set of breaks .

Yes i wonder of he just needs swapped about a bit.

Thanks all

ester

Visit site
I would call it the top ring so am adding a photo.
10898256_10155256677300438_1148981726963513895_n.jpg

sportsmansB

Visit site
A nelson gag has smaller rings so a lesser effect than a full cheltenham gag - I found both worked well on my last mare who was strong XC, head down or in to chest and just ploughed on sort of strong. I used with rope cheeks as the give and take is a little quicker but you can trial both and see. It suited her as she was fussy as to the mouthpiece so I could get the gag in the same as she used for flatwork, and really you're only using it briefly when you have to and giving again.
It actually worked so well that by the end I didn't need it.