Bitting suggestions??

Vicki1986

Visit site
<span style="color:purple"> for a very strong pony, just need some brakes, but she will also lean

at the moment i hack on the roads in a loose ring waterford which she goes very nicely in, but for faster work / XC etc she goes in a tom thumb sweet iron with copper french link and loops ( http://www.shires-equestrian.co.uk/cgi-b...tg/3.0.82.1.2.1 )

but i feel the action on this is encouraging her head to come up rather than down - therefore counter acting the action of the martingale !!
i was told to shove her in a pelham which i am reluctant to do, i have had a go and its to harsh for her and just doesnt suit her

any suggestions? i have tried her in hanging cheek snaffle but its not really enough for XC and jumping</span>

Rambo

Visit site
Kimblewick perhaps
crazy.gif
Not quite as strong as a pelham....

Frazer

Visit site
Erm there are a few I would try, maybe a cheltnam gag, kimblewick (one which you could take off the chain easily, if not needed) and lastly a normal dutch gag, but 2 rings instead of 3. If you have it on the plain snaffle rein it will encourage your horse to lower its head (acting like a hanging snaffle) or the lower one for more control! Hope this helps

cevans

Visit site
Have the same problem so interested in a solution you find - my boy went well in a pelham with dr bristol link, but ridden in two reins to soften curb action a bit. Have also swapped link curb for a leather one as the link curb made him rear.

xequusx

Visit site
I used a vulcanite mullen-mouth pelham on my strong (&amp; rather excitable!) 24yr old Cob and he went nicely in it so I now have him in a jointed fulmer, and pelhams arn't really that harsh if they're used properly.

I also ride a Cob X Trotter youngster in a fulmer for schooling and a mullen mouth Kimblewick for hacking out, except the Kimblewick is the one without the slots in the cheek so when u lower ur hands the curb comes into action.

Give the Kimblewick a try, I did and it works!

Vicki1986

Visit site
May try a kimblewick then !!

Piper interesting you should say that, my mare was the same i tried a pelham with chain and she went up straight away - i presumed it was the action she didnt agree with but perhaps it was the chain