Bitting suggestions

CrazyMare

Visit site
My 7 year old isn't strong, far from it except hunting.

She does her dressage, sj and xc in the same Mexican noseband and NS hanging cheek.

Hunting we are having an issue, she is very good but has moments of grabbing the bit and buggering off st speed. If I try to stop she flings her head up and snakes her neck about, her normal trick is to go too deep.

I've tried a beval snaffle and running martingale which worked last year but wasn't effective this year, tried a 2 ring gag with sweet iron mouth peice and copper lozenge, I had excellent brakes but no steering as she over reacted to it hugely, tending to run sideways and opens her mouth.

I'm considering trying a bitless option or a Kineton noseband but I don't really know where to start with them.

Any suggestions gratefully received!!!

CrazyMare

Visit site
I have a rubber one and a metal lozenge one, any preference to which? I did try her in the rubber one ages ago when she had an exceptionally bolshy phase and she hid behind it but that was in the school

dianchi

Visit site
Slotted Kimberwick- then you can vary the poll pressure,

Or waterford/roller type gives them nothing to grab :)

Kat

Visit site
I hunt in a slotted kimblewick and it is brilliant, enables me to be very light. I also use my neck strap to stop, sit up and down take a pull on the neck strap, works a treat. Finally if your horse is fighting bit pressure a standing martingale might work better as it puts pressure on the nose instead, though you would need a cavesson or flash noseband.

Shay

Visit site
I'm not a fan of pelhams to hunt. I know some people like them - its just over the years I've not found a single horse that did not get over strong in them if ridden with roundings. If you can ride with double reins they are more effective. If you are confident with your hands I'd opt for a waterford but a slotted kimblewick is good too - especially if you can get a myler type so they don;t have the bar to bite onto. An elevator style side will help stop her going too deep - but with a martingale to contain the head tossing.

Don't try a new bit for the first time actually in the field! See if your pack will let you accompany hound exercise to take her XC or something first. The place to discover it doesn't work is not in the middle of a run.