Bitting

JACQSZOO

Visit site
As you know I have enlisted the help of my yo with Georiges schooling. He is ridden in a french link. He has always had a tendancy to play with the bit alot and is doing so quite a lot. So we put him in a flash noseband - made no difference. We then tried him in a happy mouth straight bar but he was worse in that and he leaned on it quite badly. His teeth were done two months ago.
So, is it something that he may grow out of? Should it be something to worry about or should I ignore it? Or should I look at a different bit? If so - any suggestions?

Thank you people.
smile.gif

fairhill

Visit site
How old is he? I've just got a lozenge bit from frogpool manor to try on mine, as she has a very fussy mouth. She's been in a loose ring snaffle, was worse in frenchlink and impossible in a straight bar. Unfortunately I've haven't had chance to try it properly as we got snowed in... but she did seem quite happy in it for the little hack we did manage. It's only about £8 so not too expensive to try?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I love KK bits, and find that most horses feel the same. All the youngsters on my yard are ridden in the KK lozenge bit (can't remember the actual name sorry).

I rode Amy in one for years, and found that she went far better in that than anything else I'd put her in.

fairhill

Visit site
He might stop then when he's had more schooling and learns to take up a consistent contact. Trouble is you don't want him learning it as a habit.
Is he opening his mouth, chewing or grabbing onto the bit?

flyingfeet

Visit site
A french link has a tendency to flop about in the mouth, which can make horses that play worse.

As above try something a little quieter such as a lozenge, or barrel (myler) mouthpeice.

flyingfeet

Visit site
I'd actually go for a lozenge version that holds the lozenge tight to the rest of the mouthpeice

The frogpool one will still move quite a lot, as the holes in the lozenge are massive.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you Amy - I shall give it a go. Thankfully I get paid tomorrow!

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, certainly all the horses I've ridden in one really like it, and go well.

Fingers crossed it does the trick for you.

HBII

Visit site
Hi JCQZ

Notice you are in Shropshire, dont know where abouts though. Have you tried a loose ring lozenge bit - I have one you could borrow if you wanted to see how you get on with it, as I am back to my stainless steel eggbut for the time being.

Hb

KatB

Visit site
Try a neue schule, cheaper than KK, so similar it is unreal, and havent found a horse that dislikes them. The one that is almost the same as the KK is the Tranz link snaffle. Hope that helps!