Bitting

BethanT

Visit site
Hi there, wondering if anyon can help at all,

My friend and I went hunting yesterday and we found her horse was very on the forehand - much more than normal. She is currently in a 3 ring dutch gag with roundings on the top and bottom ring which normally does the trick in hoisting her head up of the floor. However, this particular time it was just not working. We have had her in a cherry roller before - though not hunting - and she didnt go too well in it. She is a TB cross ID though more of the ID comes through, long in the back with short legs in respect to her body. So overall she has not got the best of conformation and is on the forehand anyway.

If any one could suggest a bit that would be good to try to get this mare off the forehand a little bit wouold be great, as my friend is slowly being put of hunting due to be so tired after an hour or so of holding her. Thank you

Daddy_Long_Legs

Visit site
God how I hate 3 rings. Try something like a cheltenham gag. Ideally should be used with 2 reins but I've seen lots of people just using one and it seems to be fine.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Another vote for a Cheltenham gag.

Although, what happens if your friend just lets the horse bowl merrily along, without fighting?

Last edited:

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Another vote for a Cheltenham gag.

Although, what happens if your friend just lets the horse bowl merrily along, without fighting?

Agree with Amymay - mine is a nightmare if I fight him all day whereas if I let him get on with his job, which he knows very well having hunted nearly all of his working life (he's 17 now), he's golden. As long as the horse isn't dangerous then there isn't a lot of point in fighting continually. Our Secretary keeps telling me that a) horses are only strong when you fight them and b) they all usually stop when everything else stops so you may as well let them get on with it.

I use a pelham with 2 reins for my horse who likes to gallop along with his head on the floor, and spurs too for when he needs picking up and isn't listening.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
School it. The reasons to school it -.

1. A pleasurable ride
2. Horse will stay sounder for longer if it's up off it's forehand and not
hammering it's forelimb. Less stress in balanced canter on road than a
thumping flat out trot.
3. A horse running on it's forehand is dangerous at upright fences.

It takes 2 to pull and you will be exhausted long before the horse.

A well balanced, schooled horse in a double bridle = a delightful day out hunting.

Grey_Eventer

Visit site
My hunter used to do the whole head on the floor, flat out gallop malarky- not much fun. Played around with lots of bits and settled on a "polo" gag- similar to a cheltenham, with a standing martingale. Does the trick. He is strong (always will be) and wants to be at the front, which is fine by me. But he no longer hauls my arms out and stops when everyone else does.
I use my gag with 2 reins- ride on the snaffle rein and then use the gag rein when I need it.

JenHunt

Visit site
Agree with Amymay - mine is a nightmare if I fight him all day whereas if I let him get on with his job, which he knows very well having hunted nearly all of his working life (he's 17 now), he's golden. As long as the horse isn't dangerous then there isn't a lot of point in fighting continually. Our Secretary keeps telling me that a) horses are only strong when you fight them and b) they all usually stop when everything else stops so you may as well let them get on with it.

Ron will fight if you'll fight back, so we get him to as many days as we can in the first half of the season as we can, and avoid fighting with him. Once he's had 8-10 days he settles down, and we can switch from a double bridle to a snaffle. He just loves it, and can barely contain his excitement. :D

School it. The reasons to school it -.

1. A pleasurable ride
2. Horse will stay sounder for longer if it's up off it's forehand and not
hammering it's forelimb. Less stress in balanced canter on road than a
thumping flat out trot.
3. A horse running on it's forehand is dangerous at upright fences.

It takes 2 to pull and you will be exhausted long before the horse.

A well balanced, schooled horse in a double bridle = a delightful day out hunting.

there really is no substitute for good schooling, I totally agree. BUT - some horses (and Ron is no exception) will school nicely at home, and then turn into a tank out hunting. And personally, I'd rather have that enthusiasm and have to work hard to contain it, than to have to nag him along all day, or deal with a tantrum.

Starbucks

Visit site

I use a pelham with 2 reins for my horse who likes to gallop along with his head on the floor, and spurs too for when he needs picking up and isn't listening.

This is all well and good but if you have a particularly quick horse then it takes a bit of fighting to stay behind the field master!! Saying that I hunt in a french link! I do think a lot of people over bit and then wonder why their horses jump crap though.

BethanT

Visit site
Thanks for the quick replies. She schools well at home and it's not that she's strong and quick. In fact she's fairly slow. Shell trip a bit if left to get on with it which is why my friend holds on. She's 16 but only had two seasons hunting so doesn't fully know the job yet as only been out a few times over the seasons. X

Katie_lew

Visit site
I have a mare that likes to gallop with her head between her legs! but thats only when i fight her. i hunt in a pelham with roundings as she is very strong 16hh ID and im a shorty lol. but then i found out some tricks like when galloping i dont touch her head and only pull when actually needing to come to stop. this way she doesnt have time to be shuving her head down.
if you worried that no contact will result in tanking off or tripping (like i was) just be brave because the horse always wanna stay with the pack and once she had found the pace she and i were comfy with we have great days out hunting! they also are very good at looking after them selfs when left to it and now when they need pick there feet up ect.
plus they settle as the day goes on.
Have fun next time out
x

PortwayPaddy

Visit site
My boy does everything in a KK Ultra snaffle. He is an Affilliated dressage horse, likes show jumping and does XC. A complete joy to ride (now, he was a swine for a while).

Then comes hunting - oh boy.

Nelson Gag with a flash. Otherwise I might as well just throw myself in the mud and cut out the middle man.

I hunt with a Bloodhound pack in the peak district. With the Nelson in I know I can stop him without ever having to haul on his mouth. We can gallop flat out and then slow right up for a steep drop or tricky bit.

So much better than hauling his back teeth out and being pulled out of the saddle.

Paddy