Bizarre seasonal behaviour

Mups

Visit site
Not strictly CR but this is where I lurk and occasionally post.

Does anyone have experience of mares that change their behaviour negatively in the winter? And any solutions for sorting it? Is it hormonal?

My lovely mare last winter and this one is far more forward, easier to school and more expressive than in the summer - however - to handle she becomes stroppy and hacking is a nightmare (in the summer she is bombproof - I'd let my grandma ride her!) She is in all year round and isn't on any hard feed.

I could just school/compete/jump all winter with no issues, but I enjoy hacking and would like her to remain an all rounder.

Any suggestions, similar experiences, solutions would be very very very welcome.

ajn1610

Visit site
Could try giving her some regumate to keep her cycling, would let you know if it was her hormones or just bad weather, less turnout etc.

TheoryX1

Visit site
If its any consolation Mini TX's mare is an angel in the summer and is not mareish in the slightest. However,come cold weather she is a little madame. She will rear, bronc, buck etc if she is feeling fresh. Out hacking she can be spooky, where she normally would not bothere. We just put it down to the fact that she does not have any turnout in the winter, plus we have to clip her and just get on with it.

Mups

Visit site
Thank you both for your replies

Ajn1610 - that is the next step I think as it is completely out of character. She has the same amount of turn out winter and summer so probably not that? It is quite bewildering and distressing that my normally wonderful horse changes so much!

TheoryX1 - thank you, it is reassuring to hear that I am not the only one. Mares can be so rewarding but quite challenging!

Hopefully I will eventually find a solution that will help :)

abailey

Visit site
I have a simialar situation......my mare turns into a total loon on the yard at this time of year, weaving box walking and generally being a total stress head. I don't really have any solutions for this as I've been down the usual calmer route to no avail. She too has normal turnout and is perfect to ride........last year it seemed to ease off a little, so hoping we only get a month or so this year. :)