Bladder stones and acidifying urine

stimpy

Visit site
My elderly thoroughbred has been diagnosed with crystals/bladder stones caused by too much calcium in his diet making his urine extremely alkaline and crystals forming from the calcium carbonate. Unfortunately, our grazing is full of clover and it turns out that clover is very high in calcium so this is at best exacerbating the situation and at worst is causing it. He had his bladder flushed out a couple of weeks ago, along with blood and urine tests, to make the diagnosis. No infection, no cancer cells. He was initially much better but now two weeks later I can see blood in his urine again. My vet can't suggest any course of action other than eliminating sources of calcium from his diet and regularly flushing his bladder. Apparently the type of crystals that he has need to be dissolved and they only way to dissolve them is to acidify his urine and make it less alkaline.

We are in the process of moving house so I hope that the clover problem will go away in due course but does anyone have any experience of acidifying urine? Seems there has been research into using vitamin C in massive doses (1kg per day!) to acidify urine, or feeding a straw only diet, neither of which would be a good idea in an elderly Tb who is already quite slim.

Any experience with managing a horse with stones due to calcium carbonate would be very welcome.

Max123

Visit site
My gelding had them the 1st Spring that I had him. I did give him Vitamin C and it seemed to work but not in doses anything like 1KG. A couple of scoops a day I think.

stimpy

Visit site
My gelding had them the 1st Spring that I had him. I did give him Vitamin C and it seemed to work but not in doses anything like 1KG. A couple of scoops a day I think.

Thanks very much, maybe I should give it a go. If you remember what brand/type of vit C you fed can you please let me know? Thanks.