Bladder stones

marie_d_3

Visit site
My mare has got to go to Newmarket to have bladder stones removed. Has anyone any experience of this? Thanks

marie_d_3

Visit site
Surely I'm not the only one ever to have experienced this? I am taking her on Thursday and they will either try to remove them will her standing but sedated or knock her right out and then crush them. The third options is major surgery requiring 3 months box rest. I'm not willing to do this with an 18 year old Cushings mare who is relatively well in herself.

Surely someone must have come across this before?

Nannon

Visit site
I have a horse with a massive bladder stone - he's unrideable due to back issues which the vet seems to think caused urinary retention which caused the bladder stone (apparently the size of an orange) and now he has regular UTIs and urinart incontinence. He's simply not worth the cost of the scans and operations to remove it so he gets anti bugs regularly to get rid of the infections and he seems happy in himself, when he isn't anymore he will be PTS. Sorry not particularly helpful but you aren't the only one out there :)

JenG

New User
Visit site
my friends horse went to liphook this time last year to have bladder stones removed he was knocked out completely, stayed at liphook for about 5 - 7 dayd after the op and then came home to recover. was quite a shock to see him at first as the wound was completely open and looked really messy as every time he had a wee there was quite a bit of blood. My friend had to be really careful with keeping the wound clean and applying a barrier cream to the whole of his back end literally from the top of his tail to his fetlocks so it didn't look pretty. After a weeks box rest she decided to turn him out 9against vets advice) but actually this didnt cause any problems obviously the major concern was flies going on the wound but he was covered with a fly rug and the barrier cream. Horse has made a full recovery is back eventing and you wouldnt even know by looking at him what had been done. I guess don't be too shocked like I was at how your horse and wound may look to begin with as in this case it looked horrific but healed very quickly and neatly. Hope your horse also has good results.

marie_d_3

Visit site
Thanks for your replies. I'm glad I'm not the only one after all. I'm not willing to put her through a big operation at her age and with Cushings too. So I have my fingers crossed that they can extract them from the back end