Blair Castle Horse Trials

Tbeventer

Visit site
Looking for some help.

My friend and I are traveling to Scotland from the USA (first time overseas travelers!). We are staying in Edinburgh and we would love to make the trip to Blair on the 27 August for the day. I am having trouble finding the best way to get there. Renting a car is incredibly expensive and the train has a limited schedule. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Birker2020

Visit site
Looking for some help.

My friend and I are traveling to Scotland from the USA (first time overseas travelers!). We are staying in Edinburgh and we would love to make the trip to Blair on the 27 August for the day. I am having trouble finding the best way to get there. Renting a car is incredibly expensive and the train has a limited schedule. Does anyone have any recommendations?

https://www.blairhorsetrials.co.uk/travelling-to-blair/

By Bus
Citylink offer bus services between Edinburgh, Glasgow, Perth and Inverness. Citylink stop outside the Atholl Arms in Blair Atholl. Turn right on the road which runs through the village and the castle gates will soon be seen on the other side. Follow the main drive to the castle up the lime avenue, just over half a mile (1km).

If travelling from Pitlochry, collect local bus service (operated by Elizabeth Yule Coaches) at the stop outside Fishers Hotel. This service will bring you directly up to the castle.

For bus times, click here to visit Citylink or call on 0871 266 33 33. For timings for Elizabeth Yule Coaches, please call 01796 472 290

Tbeventer

Visit site
I would suggest the train as its a pretty journey and depending when you leave the traffic can be horrendous which may mean a very long disrupted bus ride.

I would love to take the train. I will look at the schedules again and see if I can find good departure and arrival times.

Last edited:

holeymoley

Visit site
I've always driven up but a friend takes the train. I think it's roughly about 2 hours, you may have to change at Stirling or Perth but I'm sure you'll get that information before you book.

Tbeventer

Visit site
Thank you all for your responses. I found the correct website for the train and it looks like that may be our means of transportation! Another question for everyone: what are some must do activities while we are in scotland? We are arriving midday on the 25 and leaving in the morning on the 28. We are planning to do the tour around Edinburgh, and possibly going to see the military tattoo.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Thank you all for your responses. I found the correct website for the train and it looks like that may be our means of transportation! Another question for everyone: what are some must do activities while we are in scotland? We are arriving midday on the 25 and leaving in the morning on the 28. We are planning to do the tour around Edinburgh, and possibly going to see the military tattoo.

It's asked about 10 times a day in this group so you'll find a ton of recommendations :) https://www.facebook.com/groups/3228611273931784, I've not yet moved up so can't help directly as apart from work and out trip to purchase our building plot, I've not been there since a child!

Tbeventer

Visit site
I would be happy to get you my discounted tickets for family and friends if you wanted to travel by train! I work for scotrail. ?

Thank you for the generous offer! That would be amazing! We were planning to take the early train (I think 6:30am)from haymarket and then stopping in Perth for a few hours and then catch the 11:55 train to Blair.