Blanketing at night

JBM

Visit site
Hi!
My horse has a trace clip and I bought her a new lightweight rug as I currently only have a heavyweight one but it hasn’t arrived yet! It’s was 11 degrees during the day so she was going without her blanket. But now it’s 6 during day and 2 at night. She seems more comfortable without her blanket as she rolls at night when I put it on but worried she will get too cold if I put nothing on her at night when it’s 2 degrees. (No rain very little wind)
Should I keep her blanket on at night or take it off?

muddybay

Visit site
Hi!
My horse has a trace clip and I bought her a new lightweight rug as I currently only have a heavyweight one but it hasn’t arrived yet! It’s was 11 degrees during the day so she was going without her blanket. But now it’s 6 during day and 2 at night. She seems more comfortable without her blanket as she rolls at night when I put it on but worried she will get too cold if I put nothing on her at night when it’s 2 degrees. (No rain very little wind)
Should I keep her blanket on at night or take it off?
I always rug mine at night under 10 degrees but mine gets very shivery so he's in a 300g at the moment. do you have a lightweight turnout you could put her in if she's stabled?

Reactions: JBM

JBM

Visit site
I always rug mine at night under 10 degrees but mine gets very shivery so he's in a 300g at the moment. do you have a lightweight turnout you could put her in if she's stabled?
I have her stable blanket but she’s outside 24/7 she gets very bored inside

Winters100

Visit site
Depends on the horse, but I only use 300g when it is -10 or colder. Can you borrow a lighter one until yours arrives?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
300g with a neck cover is really warm even for 2 degrees with a trace clip, have you not got a saddlery shop near you where you can buy a thinner one especially as it's going to get warmer.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
I would rather they got too cold than too hot. If you really can’t get hold of a thinner rug (Facebook, local tack shop?) then I would leave naked and leave lots of forage (assuming there is a field shelter to at least shield from wind). Also assuming she isn’t old.

Winters100

Visit site
If there is no saddlery shop open you could buy a very cheap one from decathalon and use it later as a spare.

JBM

Visit site
300g with a neck cover is really warm even for 2 degrees with a trace clip, have you not got a saddlery shop near you where you can buy a thinner one especially as it's going to get warmer.
Girl I ordered the rug off keeps telling me it’s going to be here then it’s not I would’ve bought off someone else if I knew it would be this long

JBM

Visit site
Thanks guys this has been super helpful hopefully rug be here by Friday and I won’t have to buy two ?

Winters100

Visit site
Out of interest what weight rug did you buy? Because if you went for a 200g then probably you will anyway soon need something lighter. For very changeable weather I find the 50g ones the most useful, so just in case it does not arrive you could always order one in another weight since you will probably need it soon anyway.

JBM

Visit site
Out of interest what weight rug did you buy? Because if you went for a 200g then probably you will anyway soon need something lighter. For very changeable weather I find the 50g ones the most useful, so just in case it does not arrive you could always order one in another weight since you will probably need it soon anyway.
250 no neck cover is what I got didn’t want to go for a rain sheet as seemed very light but I might buy one

JBM

Visit site
Judy is slightly older at 20 so I try to keep her nice and warm

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I have 50g 100g 200g and 350g for my field kept horses that way you have a rug for every weather, I also tend to buy detachable neck rugs so they are more versatile and I have 50g liners as well but I do like a good choice of rugs:)

I love her name Judy it's so cool!

JBM

Visit site
I have 50g 100g 200g and 350g for my field kept horses that way you have a rug for every weather, I also tend to buy detachable neck rugs so they are more versatile and I have 50g liners as well but I do like a good choice of rugs:)

I love her name Judy it's so cool!
Thank you! Just starting out but trying to learn fast ☺️ Though rugs are very expensive ?

HeyMich

Visit site
I find 100g rugs the most useful, my 4 beasts have multiple each!

250g rugs would be way too much for mine, I live in the Scottish hills and 200g is the thickest any of them have, and that's in mid winter.

At the moment, weather here is down to 0 degrees at night, and they are in 0g, 50g and 100g rugs, depending on how woosy and how clipped they are!

Winters100

Visit site
Ahh, if she is older then she will appreciate being kept nice and warm:)

I buy all my rugs in sales, have a look around for good offers. I also at the end of every winter take an inventory of what is damaged / old and buy in the spring for the following winter. Plus second hand is also an option.

Good luck and enjoy your lovely horse!