"Bleaching" in the sun *pics added*

StarFell

Visit site
My fell pony is black, but during the summer he always seems to bleach in the sun, especially in his mane. Most other fells in the classes I enter have really black manes; is there anyway to stop them going ginger, other than rugging and keeping them in when it's sunny?

Black (please excuse the grumpy expression, it had been a long day!):
Photo-0215.jpg

Ginger:
P1030095.jpg

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
well I like his highlights, we end up with a two tone palo as where cally wears her fly rug without a hood her neck gets lighter.

StarFell

Visit site
Thanks cilsanestud, I didn't know that, I'll try it
smile.gif

Ester; I quite like them too but they look a bit scruffy in the show ring next to shiny black ponies
tongue.gif

xmariax

Visit site
my black cob looks just like diesel dogs at the mo lol....i cant rug him when hes out he would get too hot so i just put up with him lookin like he has a hint of ginge!!!

somethingorother

Visit site
Do some of the fly rugs not filter the UV too? Although i know some horses still overheat in them, but i've never had a black so that's the most useful i'm going to get- sorry!

cundlegreen

Visit site
I've had blacks with the same problem for some time.I've found that it seems to be a mineral imbalance thing, and when I've had a special supplement made up the coat has come right within 10 days. Theres a very interesting book called Natural Horse Care by Pat Coleby in which I read that blacks and liver chestnuts have a much higher requirement for copper sulphate, and if they are deficient the first sign is in the coat. I had this about 3 months ago with a yearling, and put him on to seaweed meal and he now has a lovely black coat again even though he doesn't wear any rugs and is out in very open sunny pasture.

welshied

Visit site
you can buy a spray from derby house which you spray in there mane over the bleached parts an it dyes it back black