Blenheim - a report from the Start box

Rana

Visit site
Well, last time I posted a volunteers report, someone made the awful mistake of saying they enjoyed it :D So you can have another one :p

It was another early start for me to get up to Blenheim - it was a 9.30 briefing, but I wasn't sure how the traffic would be, so got there super early (8am) to make sure I wasn't late! Had a wander, found the FJ briefing and had a natter with some of the people there. Then pottered off down to the Start, nicking some bacon rolls on my way :D

Met up with everyone at the Start, I know a few people but needed introducing to the others. It was a very experienced team, so I felt like a fish out of water! We decided who was doing what inside the box itself - I was Start and Finish Timekeeper, so I was recording both times and working out the penalties (thank God for crib sheets!).

It was busy, but not too stressful, as there were alternating 3-4 minute intervals between horses (at most BE events it's 90-120 seconds). We didn't miss a single time all day (we were getting 3 or 4 times for each horse, so as to make sure it was accurate). We could even see a couple of jumps, so it was nice to have something to watch.

Great to receive some acknowledgement from the riders. Francis W popped in after his round to say thank you and our hard work was appreciated - it was lovely of him to take the time out to do that. And JP Sheffield said good morning as he rode round the starting area. It really does make a difference when riders acknowledge that we exist (although I do of course understand that the XC start is not everyone's favourite place!).

There were a couple of holds on course, but nothing major, and we were easily able to catch up by dropping all intervals to 3 minutes.

The whole team did a great job - the warm up stewards kept the horses coming through regularly, the count down stewards kept everyone organised, the starters got them out on time, and the start box kept all the times in order.

Saturday was busy in the trade stands, so I headed straight home. Sunday was another early start, but we finished XC at lunchtime, so I popped up to the crew tent for some lunch, then got an ice cream and watched some of the SJ before resisting shopping temptation and going home to sort out my own horse.

Purston Manor for me next (taken a day off work to help out), then a weekend off, then SOE followed by Dauntsey, a weekend off and T'down UA finishes the season. Then I can start planning next year :D

RuthnMeg

Visit site
Thanks for your report. It is nice to hear it from another angle, and so glad some riders thanked you. I always try to do that myself as I know it does make a difference to all the helpers. Personally, I couldn't be trusted to keep the times of one rider, let alone all of them so very well done you.

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
It IS nice to read volunteer's reports too! :D Glad you had a good weekend and that you had a few riders being nice and friendly. :) I always try have a wee natter with the start team when I first go over to the start box, seems to get a 50:50 mix of blank looks and chat back, maybe they're just not used to it?! :eek: Always shout "thank you" as I leave too.

KatB

Visit site
Lovely to hear this side, thank you! Have to say, doesn't surprise me the two names that were mentioned as being "Human" ;) JP is a lovey guy, and from what I hve seen of FW, so is he :D :D

Thistle

Visit site
I like start/XC stewarding too. B always makes a point of shouting thank you to the starterhaving done a stint both as starter in the rain and also in the box as timekeeper.

We are at Purston on Wed so shall maybe say hello and steal a cuddle from Poppy.

Rosiefan

Visit site
I enjoy reading helpers' reports too so thank you. We're at Purston on Thursday and at SoE so would be nice to think we'd see you but it's always such a rush. Thank you in advance for all your hard work :)

Weezy

Visit site
The whole machine was so slick, well done you :) I presume you were in the box itself? I did make sure I said thank you to everyone I saw down there, without the volunteers there is no event!

Lizzie2106

Visit site
Nice to hear about some pros being nice and polite to volunteers as not all of them are like that from what I could see at some events ! Talking about it, I really enjoyed watching Bill Levett and Clayton helping to install the showjumps for the CIC showjumping, found it nice of them :)

lindsayH

Visit site
Thanks for that, very interesting! My dad and I spent the whole day saying how well organised and spectator orientated everything was. All the officials did a splendid job and we noticed that things were speeded up after the longish hold. Lovely to hear about Francis too as I'm a huge fan!

Rana

Visit site
Thanks all :) It was a brilliant weekend, had a lovely time, and everything did seem to run smoothly (just don't mention lunches to any of the fence judges...)

It does make a difference when riders say thank you, so thanks to all those of you who do it!

Weezy - yes, I was hiding in the start box, they don't let us out once they've locked us in there ;)

Thistle - sadly no Poppy Puppy as she'd get too bored in the start, so she's staying at home with OH. I'm there on Thurs so prob won't see you, must catch up again soon though!

Rosiefan - I'm fence judging at SOE, so if you walk the course when the FJ's are there, keep a look out for a big blue 4x4, a small black and tan terrier pup, and quite possibly a bored looking OH (depends if he can get out of the call out rota for work) or a panicked looking me, depending on how busy it is if I'm on my own!

SW66

Visit site
What a lovely report, always nice to hear everyone's experiences at an event. I have volunteered a couple of times this year & have always ended up in the scorers tent, & like you once your in there thats it you don't get out!!! :D

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Lovely report and nice to hear a different angle! What are you doing at Dauntsey as will look out for you there. (Don't tell anyone but I am H&S person for the event!)

Rana

Visit site
My lips are sealed! We're fence judging, on the Sunday, but it's a bit up in the air at the moment as they're oversubbed for the Sunday apparently. Have to wait and see.

Nic

Visit site
GReat report & lovely that some took the time to make a point of saying thank you. I always say thanks as I leave the start box, but am usually a little green for much chat!

Rana

Visit site
Nicole - yep, totally understand being green! I can't even jump a 1ft cross pole, couldn't imagine doing even a BE80.

Rach - everyone will have to blame you then :p You do realise that I'll just keep writing them now... Yep, of course, is 20 ok, or would you prefer 30 ;) Just PM me your number :D (joking of course in case anyone reads this and thinks otherwise!)

charlie8879

Visit site
Its lovely to read a post from a different angle! I was there volunteering on the Sunday and had an equally good day, I was a crossing steward near the big screen so had lost of connections watching most of whom were very polite/friendly - even though they too were equally nervous!! - great day all round

Rana

Visit site
Charlie - that must have been good, could you watch the screen from where you were? We didn't see much of the action and our radio wasn't on fence judge net so we had no idea what was going on unless Control filled us in lol

OIAM - yep, held times are a nightmare! Hate working those out. I can do it, it just seems to take me forever, and when Control are shouting for the times, it gets a bit stressy!!

Saratoga

Visit site
Great report, sounds like a good few days!

Purston Manor for me next (taken a day off work to help out), then a weekend off, then SOE followed by Dauntsey, a weekend off and T'down UA finishes the season. Then I can start planning next year :D

Will you be in the start box for SOE and Dauntsey? What days? I am competing at both :)

Rana

Visit site
Fence judging at SOE and Dauntsey. Sat at SOE and Sun at Dauntsey (I think, waiting for confirmation).

Look out for a big blue 4x4 and a cute black and tan puppy :D

Saratoga

Visit site
Fence judging at SOE and Dauntsey. Sat at SOE and Sun at Dauntsey (I think, waiting for confirmation).

Look out for a big blue 4x4 and a cute black and tan puppy :D

I'm at SOE on the Sat and Dauntsey on the Sunday so will definitely look out for you!