Blenheim Horse Trials

Orangehorse

Visit site
I have just looked at the admission price and it seems quite a lot, plus car parking. How does it compare to other events?

Badminton is my closest and I go on a dressage day, look round the course and watch on TV, so I don't pay the cross country day price. I have been to Chatsworth but stayed and took out a membership package, so I have nothing to compare it to.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It's more like a 5* price I think, compared to other 4* prices , but it does have a lot more going on in other rings at the same time and generally a bit more shopping. I do always enjoy a day there.

Lexi_

Visit site
If anyone wants to go, I’m volunteering there again this year and we get a free 4 day pass plus parking for a friend... all my horsey friends are several hundred miles from Blenheim so I’m happy to pass them onto someone on here!

Ooh, just read the email more carefully... also two free Thurs & Fri tickets!

Shout up if you want them - they’re only going to waste otherwise.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Ive been a couple of times and tbh, feel its a bit expensive. Although a lot of our top riders are there it doesnt have the quality field of a 5 star. Plus points are that there are a lot of places where you can sit and see a lot of the course and its a nice course to walk around. For me the negatives are the shopping isnt that good, never seem to find a show special, food is ok but very pricey and car parking is expensive. Last year I discovered the live stream so watched it at home through the TV

humblepie

Visit site
If anyone wants to go, I’m volunteering there again this year and we get a free 4 day pass plus parking for a friend... all my horsey friends are several hundred miles from Blenheim so I’m happy to pass them onto someone on here!

Ooh, just read the email more carefully... also two free Thurs & Fri tickets!

Shout up if you want them - they’re only going to waste otherwise.

Hi Lexi could I have one Friday one if possible please - have friends doing the ROR dressage and would quite like to watch. My horse had qualified but I decided not to enter as felt Blenheim bit too much in your face for him.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I also have two spare tickets for Thursday/Friday (not sure which one yet - I'm going with a friend one of the two days, but it's too far to go both days).

Bernster

Visit site
Oooh Lexi - if it's possible to split them, I would love to take the Saturday tickets and parking pass (or just the parking pass) - I have a ticket for Sat but a friend would come too, and then I'd take my car so would need a pass. :) How lovely to get that as a volunteer.

turkana

Visit site
I go most years as it's local but I wouldn't bother if it wasn't so close, Badminton & Burghley are much better (went to Burghley for the first time this year & loved it)
It's expensive to get in & the shopping isn't very good, it's free to get in after 4pm on dressage days so I do that on Friday which means I can watch a couple of tests & look around the shops, there aren't many so that's plenty of time.
If the weather is nice I then go on Saturday & avoid the shops

Lexi_

Visit site
Hopefully I can sort everyone out! I’ve just won the BE volunteer prize draw for Thurs tickets too 😂😂

Will have a proper look at my various emails at work tomorrow and let everyone know!

Magnetic Sparrow

Visit site
I went to watch the Saturday XC for many years, then they changed the format a few years ago. I was considering going this year, but the 4* XC is Saturday 9am-2pm, and the 8/9yo XC on Sunday is 10am-1.30pm. Hardly seems worth hauling all that way for such a short day. I'd rather go on Sunday for convenience, but there's even less action. Can anyone tell me if there's another good reason to go, please?

Lexi_

Visit site
I went to watch the Saturday XC for many years, then they changed the format a few years ago. I was considering going this year, but the 4* XC is Saturday 9am-2pm, and the 8/9yo XC on Sunday is 10am-1.30pm. Hardly seems worth hauling all that way for such a short day. I'd rather go on Sunday for convenience, but there's even less action. Can anyone tell me if there's another good reason to go, please?

I think that’s pretty standard length for the big long format events isn’t it? Blenheim just starts weirdly early compared to the other big comps where it’s more 11-4ish.

There’s loads going on in the other arenas - talks, demos, arena eventing etc - and all the shopping etc. Just have to do the cross country first and the other stuff afterwards!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
There's the 8/9yo SJ on later in the day I think + the countryside ring. Never struggled to make a full day of it, 5* XC never starts before 11.. so just need to get there earlier :).

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
We went a few times, but got a little bit bored of it. I thought the shopping and general experience was a bit mediocre compared to things like Bramham (which is the same level imo).

{97702}

Visit site
I love Blenheim! You can get properly close to the action, usually a quality field, I’ve enjoyed it every time I’ve been - but it has huge nostalgia value as well as I went to school in Woodstock and walked home across the park so I guess that helps a lot 😄

Personally I would really recommend 😊 But then I genuinely don’t understand going to a big event for the shopping... doesn’t interest me at all 😄

Velcrobum

Visit site
I volunteer there so get free tickets it is pricey but there is lots going on. There are 2 arenas running dressage For the 4* and 8/94* Thursday and Friday. The 4* runs early on Saturday to allow the 8/9 SJ to happen in the main Arena (by request of the competitors) afterwards. There is an attractions Arena running ROR dressage Thurs and Fri with displays, masterclasses, demonstrations, Gate jumping competition Sat and Sun. There are 2 arena eventing rings running 90cm and 100cm team classes for RC on Thursday and PC on Friday and a BE Eventer challenge I think on Sunday. Then Sunday 8/9 XC then 4* SJ. Food and Drink take your own as yes it is expensive but every horsey thing I ever go to is expensive. The car parking once upon a time was free but the Palace is quite greedy as with virtually every event they hold Triathlons/ Fun Runs/ Flower Shows/ Motor Shows you pay to park and you pay to get into the show you are visiting who also pays for the privilege of hosting it there!!!