Blistering

junior_7178

Visit site
I dont post on here often,i usualy just lurk and read.

My 18yo ID x TB is going to the vets tommorow to be "blistered".I dont know anything about the treatment other than what the vets told me,but he says its nothing to worry about and will increase his chances of a quicker recovery.

However,ive mentioned it to a few people on the yard who have "gawped" when i told them what was being done.They then admitted they didnt know much about it either,but had herd it wasnt very good for the horse.

He's booked in for tommorow,so i dont want to leave it long if im going to cancel the appt.Can anyone on here give me any advice weather i SHOULD/SHOULDNT have it done???

Sorry i didnt explain that well but didnt have long to type.

faerie666

Visit site
What injury is your horse being blistered for?
confused.gif

It usually involves shaving the hair off and applying an irritant (blister) to the area to be treated. This causes inflammation, which in turn causes the bloodflow to the affected area to be increased, which is supposed to speed up the healing progress. The only injuries I've seen it used for were tendons, splints and sore shins. I'm assuming at 18 it isn't sore shins.
The horse will then be on boxrest for a while with a cradle on so they can't lick or chew the affected area, before starting on a gradual exercise program. They're not allowed bute as that would counteract the inflammatory response.
It doesn't cause any long term harm, but is mildy uncomfortable for the horse, and, same as with firing, it's questionable how effective it actually is.
crazy.gif

That's about all I know about it.
smile.gif

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
would have thought we should be past causing pain in order to cure these days given the alternatives available to modern vet medicine. why are they blistering and what are they using?

misterjinglejay

Visit site
If blistering is the same as firing, it seems to be a dubious practice, favoured by old style horsemen.

It was thought that the firing helped the tendon repair, as Faerie says, but it is now realised that it was probably the box rest that
mended the problem.

I thought it was illegal, or at least severly frowned upon.
I hope your horse recovers with or without blistering.
XX

collie

Visit site
Blistering and pin firing were quite common in my fathers time on working horses, it looks a lot worse than it is. As other posts have indicated the healing process after it, is supposed to improve blood flow to the effected area. I have no idea how successful it is but my father said it does work.